Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold sore worry

Options
  • 07-07-2010 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

First of all, I want to clarify that I'm not really looking for medical advice. I'm 23, female and I today I noticed the beginnings of another cold sore. I started getting them last August, had another one in February and now another one. Is this considered a lot? I have been run down recently. Would it be an idea to start taking Lysine? I already take a daily multivitamin.

Also, I'm a bit concerned about possibly having spread it to myself 'down there' as I had a shower this morning and I usually would sort of rub my face to dry it before drying everywhere else. I'd be devastated if I ended up with herpes as I'm not sexually active. How likely is it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi, just wanted to say don't worry too much about it. I have had coldsores since I was about nine (when I get my period, if I have the flu, etc, basically when the immune system is down) and while they never go away completely it comes and goes, maybe you are very stressed right now and that is why it keeps coming back?

Mine has never spread "down there" as I think genital herpes and the ones you get on your face aren't exactly the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Ask your doctor.

All this is from memory, but I have done a bit of research into cold sores as I get them quite a bit.
    Cold sores around your mouth are herpes simplex virus type 1 where as genital herpes is herpes simplex virus type 2. They are 2 distinct types and cant be changed/altered from one to the other. That said it is possible (although rare) for the sores to be transferred from one region to the other. I have been getting cold sores since I was a child and it hasn't spread....

I would just recommend a healthy diet and lifestyle, and when you do get them just use a different towel to dry your face. I find that Zovirax/Viralief helps to heal them a bit faster and with less discomfort.

I have one since Monday and it is almost defiantly due to being run down after 12 hours of drinking on both Friday and Saturday followed by Sunday in bed not eating for the whole day :(

(i.e. It's the World Cup's fault)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

I'm not a doctor but from what I know, the herpes virus, while being almost the exact same as the cold sore virus, isn't passed from a cold sore to the nether regions, unless what you have is actually herpes as opposed to a cold sore (which you won't know unless you get checked out).

LyndaMcL wrote: »
    I'm not a doctor but from what I know, the herpes virus, while being almost the exact same as the cold sore virus, isn't passed from a cold sore to the nether regions, unless what you have is actually herpes as opposed to a cold sore (which you won't know unless you get checked out).

Cold sore is just another name for herpes. As the above posters said, there are different types of herpes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

We aren't actualy allowed to give medical advice on baords and this thread strays into that area

If youa re concerned about your cold sores or about an infection elsewhere then the best thing you can do is go and ahve a chat with your doctor

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement