Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIY Steadicam

Options
  • 07-07-2010 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Good Day,

I am working on a DIY steadicam, I'm currently stuck at bending the tubes that carry the weights..

I just want to ask if anyone knows a place where I can get tubes bent?

I don't want to buy a bender just for this project.. I'd pay someone to do it though.

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

What tubes are they? What material are they made of?

Any plumber should have a little thingy-ma-jig

• Registered Users Posts: 36 supermangyan

I have a couple here, some of them I got from old clothes hangers, they're 3/4" white painted steel tubes which are very hard.. some are very thin stainless steel of the same diameter & I also have a 3/4" PVC. I wanna try all of them as they are of different weights, want to see which one will work best.

do you know a plumber I could ring?

Not in Tallaght.

Ask in a DIY/harware shop, or woodies/B&Q they might even do it for you

found one! thanks!

rang more than 10 people, none of them can do it. :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,491 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

some of those pipes may be too brittle to bend.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭PabD

Put water in the tubes, freeze them and then bend away. :D

EDIT: You will be able to bend in a vice or something like that.

PabD wrote: »
    Put water in the tubes, freeze them and then bend away. :D

EDIT: You will be able to bend in a vice or something like that.

haha yeah I saw that on TV, problem is I don't have a big enough freezer. :D
    some of those pipes may be too brittle to bend.

yeah they are brittle, destroyed 3 of them already.. I've managed to bend one though, slightly hammered to flatten it a bit then bended it.. loads of kinks came out but I'd fill them up with body filler.

yeah they are brittle, destroyed 3 of them already.. I've managed to bend one though, slightly hammered to flatten it a bit then bended it.. loads of kinks came out but I'd fill them up with body filler.

Would you mind taking a pic to show us what they're like?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,491 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i suspect copper would be much easier to bend.

• Advertisement

What about using a small blow torch to heat the pipe up before bending?

PabD wrote: »
    What about using a small blow torch to heat the pipe up before bending?

I don't have a blow torch.. closest thing is a cigarette lighter. :(

Photos coming up!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,968 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I don't have a blow torch.. closest thing is a cigarette lighter. :(

Photos coming up!

sku_1320_1.jpg

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1320

here's what's keeping me busy the wholeday.

IMG_5407.jpg
    as you can see there are loads of kinks, just have to fill them up with body filler, sand it then re-paint.

IMG_5409.jpg
    silver pipes would have been very good because you can screw the weights at the end.. I'll make use of those if I find someone to bend them for me.. still have loads of them here.

IMG_5406.jpg

I also found this in the basement & tried to bend it.. quite stiff & might work.

IMG_5411.jpg

here's the gimble assembly, I bought a u-joint at a hobby shop in town & a ball bearing from citycycles. the black thing with the screw is from a broken ball head from my softbox. I'm planning on using my worn out SLIK pistol grip as the handle.. & maybe attach a 5" monitor in the screw.

IMG_5413.jpg

roughly here is what it'll look like.

IMG_5412.jpg
    & here, if I'd be using the flat bar.. don't like the profile of it though.:D

at the moment I'm missing the flat metal sheet where the DSLR would sit, & the attachment of the gimble to the sheet itself. I'll rummage down the basement, maybe I'll get lucky. :rolleyes:

I'll post more photos as I progress with this project, hopefully I get to finish it soon!!

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭fade2che

Looks good Supermangyan,
    I had a go at this a while back, got something to work on the 2nd go, however the machining precision was an issue. I ended up with a slightly of center design that couldn't be seen by the eye and could only be detected in the slow panning constantly in one direction.

The balance of the camera also had to be adjusted in that I was using the 5dmII and its heavier on one side.
    I also found that the balance of the handle needed a lot of adjustment to be comfortable enough to use.

Good luck and keep us all posted.

fade2che wrote: »
    Looks good Supermangyan,
    I had a go at this a while back, got something to work on the 2nd go, however the machining precision was an issue. I ended up with a slightly of center design that couldn't be seen by the eye and could only be detected in the slow panning constantly in one direction.

The balance of the camera also had to be adjusted in that I was using the 5dmII and its heavier on one side.
    I also found that the balance of the handle needed a lot of adjustment to be comfortable enough to use.

Good luck and keep us all posted.

Thanks, can you show us your rig? I will be using a 500D, at the moment I'll try balancing my 50D on it, I might get a 5dmkii or 7D sometime in the next few months.

I got the gimble fixed to the handle now, did a quick trip to Woodie's & bought a 3/4 coupler, surprisingly it fit's perfectly in my SLIK grip.

here's a photo.

IMG_5430.jpg

I am now excited to construct the attachment to the plate.. will have to make another trip to the hobby shop & look for an aluminum RC chassis..

But now that you mentioned machining.. do you know a place where I can have parts custom made?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

Thanks for the link..
    I've seen this amongst other vids on youtube.. this is stable but cannot ensure keeping the camera level at all times since there are no moving parts.

this is what I'm trying to copy..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pLBUC-O1js&feature=related

there's another one that used bent PVC pipes & used a lot of very affordable materials.. here it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohuHNZySHQE&NR=1&feature=fvwp

my worry with the second vid is most of the parts are made from plastic & it really doesn't offer a lot of adjustments in terms of balancing the camera.

Any update on this? :D

Hi,

Got stuck with the top part now, & figured out I need to have some serious machining to do. & now since I'm back to work, I won't have that much time to work on it I can finance this project better. anyone who knows who can fabricate Stainlees steel parts? I can have the details done in AutoCAD with precise measurements.

I'll make them as simple as possible so I'll do the final assembly myself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 starlight89

hey guys i am just wondering was there any luck building the steadicam in the end??? i am in the middle of construction at the moment and have hit a few walls such as how should i get the cameras centre of gravity for the top platform or how do i no where 2 place my camera 2 balance the system??? any suggestions???

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭BlastedGlute

Www.cheesy cam.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 TheeMUCKSAVAGE

For anyone wanting to bend metal tubes for a diy steadycam,just go over to B+Q and buy 12mm stainless steel tube for 12 euro,its 2 meters long and buy a a 12mm tube bending spring,insert the spring and bend away.The spring is meant for copper but it worked perfect on the stainless steel for me.Obviously you want to cut the tube to the desired length before you bend it.

So where can i buy a u-joint in Dublin for my steadycam ?I need a ballbearing too..

Advertisement