Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maintenance Grant

Options
  • 07-07-2010 10:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭

I have submitted an application for the maintenance grant and i'm just wondering if anyone can give me an idea of how long (roughly) they take to be processed? I'm sure it varies depending on the local authority but I would appreciate if anyone could give me an idea of how long it takes on average before I find out whether my application is successful or not. Also, how long do they take to send back the documentation you submitted? (I need my birth cert :confused:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭a1000pigeons

Perhaps you should have sent a copy of your birth cert, don't remember them returning mine. You can get another copy in your local health board office I think anyway for a couple of quid. Regarding the grant it's impossible to say, the VEC's are swamped this time of year. It does vary with different VEC's but it seems that generally nothing is paid until mid/late Oct. Mine wasn't even confirmed by the time I started (in WIT as a mature student) and the first installment was paid around November. I had to get a loan to tide me over. The only thing you can do is to get your documentation sorted and your application in on time, because if not this will only set you back and I've heard horror stories of people not getting anything until after Christmas, and the sooner it's in, the sooner it'll be processed and confirmed. Again I think this varies with different VEC's but if everything's in order you should know before you start or by mid Sept latest... I know. Realistically, it can be frustrating overall to be honest but it's better than if wasn't there to begin with. Don't think i answered any of your questions there but hope that gives you an idea (it's pretty much a lottery and out of your hands), best of luck anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Chris007

Perhaps you should have sent a copy of your birth cert, don't remember them returning mine. You can get another copy in your local health board office I think anyway for a couple of quid. Regarding the grant it's impossible to say, the VEC's are swamped this time of year. It does vary with different VEC's but it seems that generally nothing is paid until mid/late Oct. Mine wasn't even confirmed by the time I started (in WIT as a mature student) and the first installment was paid around November. I had to get a loan to tide me over. The only thing you can do is to get your documentation sorted and your application in on time, because if not this will only set you back and I've heard horror stories of people not getting anything until after Christmas, and the sooner it's in, the sooner it'll be processed and confirmed. Again I think this varies with different VEC's but if everything's in order you should know before you start or by mid Sept latest... I know. Realistically, it can be frustrating overall to be honest but it's better than if wasn't there to begin with. Don't think i answered any of your questions there but hope that gives you an idea (it's pretty much a lottery and out of your hands), best of luck anyway!

Cheers! That was a help, thanks for the insight :) Unfortunately it has to be the original birth cert that you send in. Anyway, finger's crossed I won't be waiting too long. I have everything submitted and in order afaik

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭sassypsych

The copies of the birth certs you get from the health board are official copies so you can send them off for anything official like grants/passports etc and they are accepted. You will get your orginal documents back pretty soon though. Once they have checked and photocopied them you will get them back. A couple of weeks at the most.

As for finding out whether you are successful or not it purely depends on where you live and how many other applications they have. It is good to ring every couple of weeks though, be polite and ask nicely how it is coming along...just to keep things moving :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

My daughter's grant for 2009/2010 was paid in March and April in 2 installments. She had paid her registration fee in September 2009 and this was refunded to her in March 2010 too. She has applied for her grant renewal in July this year for 2010/2011 year.

Advertisement