Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing Courses-Sociology

Options
  • 07-07-2010 1:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭

Hey there im going into my 3rd year in tsm. The subjects im doing i passed but am not that interested in and the job prospects are almost nil. Im considering changing one tsm course for sociology. Basically i want to know if i did get that course would i be at a serious disadvantage going straight into JS with no experience of the subject and is it at all possible to start the course from jf. Also any information from those who have done sociology is much appreciated. Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Rds1989 wrote: »
    Hey there im going into my 3rd year in tsm. The subjects im doing i passed but am not that interested in and the job prospects are almost nil. Im considering changing one tsm course for sociology. Basically i want to know if i did get that course would i be at a serious disadvantage going straight into JS with no experience of the subject and is it at all possible to start the course from jf. Also any information from those who have done sociology is much appreciated. Thanks

You are aware that what you're suggesting is like asking which concentration camp would you like to go to, at the end of the day you're still in a concentration camp.***;)
    I did a human sciences sociology type degree and trust me when I say: THERE ARE NO JOBS IN SOCIOLOGY. There aren't many jobs in anything at the moment and sociology isn't generally associated with lucrative employment opportunities.
    Not to sound too cruel or mordant, but it's sociology. As much as you think your current TSM is poor regarding employment, do you really think that this is much better?
    Postgrad is the place to go.

***No offence to any sociology people, I've just had nightmares reading Habermas and Lyotard, "communicative rationality" my left one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 indiekid

Hi,
    I did sociology as part of TSM a long time ago and i would not recommend starting it in JS - even if they let you do it.
    You would be at a disadvantage compared to the rest of the class in any of your assignments or exams. THey will have 3 years of tuition and reading to draw upon and you won't.
    Unless you are a voracious reader and prepared to cover 3 years work in one year, you will find it very tough and you risk ending up with a lower grade in your finals - compared to if you remain in your current subject.

As the other poster said, there are no jobs in sociology itself, though the subject matter comes in useful from time to time in other job roles e.g. management.

If you find that your current subject matter is not stretching you, you could look for other outlets that would give you a sense of achievement or challenge, and those type of things are worth something in the job market - showing a future employer that you can run an event, take a lead in a college society/team, rallying a group of people for a particular goal etc.

When I went for my first serious job interview it was that type of stuff that showed them who I was - not my 2.2 in sociology - and i got the job.
    Hope that is of some help to you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Sociology is a complete sophistry. As a discipline its irrelevant, it analyses things it cannot define or explain, and falls back on some neat postmodernist catch all concepts to defend its vacuous core. In short, you should have no problems in finding a job in this God forsaken country with a degree that fosters such thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

indiekid wrote: »
    When I went for my first serious job interview it was that type of stuff that showed them who I was - not my 2.2 in sociology - and i got the job.

That's hardly suprising :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 22 steven857

Denerick wrote: »
    Sociology is a complete sophistry. As a discipline its irrelevant, it analyses things it cannot define or explain, and falls back on some neat postmodernist catch all concepts to defend its vacuous core. In short, you should have no problems in finding a job in this God forsaken country with a degree that fosters such thinking.

What in the name of God makes you feel like you have the authority to spout such nonsense? This post reveals little but ignorance and prejudice. I suggest you grow up or earn your degree before bestowing your opinion upon subject matter you know nothing about.

It's true that debating and its concomitant lifestyle bestows a wonderful sense of entitlement amonst the privileged (if I may make the assumption), but the more discerning among us can spot real rhetoric a mile off. I don't study Sociology, before you ask.

I won't be checking for a response, so spew all the bile you wish. On the internet, noone can hear your stupid opinions.

• Advertisement

:D

This is what I do. Bítch.

Then I suggest you "do" something worthwhile and inform yourself before posting bullshít, you glorified troll.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

I thought you said you wouldn't check for a response?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭The_Joker.

steven857 wrote: »
    Then I suggest you "do" something worthwhile and inform yourself before posting bullshít, you glorified troll.

You've been waiting since 2005 to let off some steam you angry,angry man.

Couldn't resist.

You take your name from a Batman film? Get a life.

• Advertisement

Couldn't resist.

You take your name from a Batman film? Get a life.

Are you coming off cigarettes or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

...glorified?

A Neurotic wrote: »
    ...glorified?

Are you suggesting I'm not glorified?

Advertisement