Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French boxing anyone????

Options
  • 06-07-2010 11:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

Hi

I have a French mate moving to Dublin shortly and he practices French boxing or Savate.
    Is there any clubs that cater for it around or should he just take up Mauy Thai or MMA???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭OLDMAN1

i trained a few years ago in savate with a french guy, we trained toghther for about 2 years, as far as i know there is no Savate club in Ireland, your friendwould be better off joining a Muay thai club, depending on were he is based.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 redstar6

Cheers mate, I actually never heard of Savate until he mentioned it.Sounds very similar to kick boxing I must admit I have a green belt in TKD, must get back into it at some stage. What you do yourself?

a bt of everything

Jack of all trades??? Whats the best for self defense for a wee 5 ft 2 lass. I have done TKD before but I don't think it's any good if a scumbag is trying to rob your purse which happened to me not so long ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭_oveless

redstar6 wrote: »
    Hi

I have a French mate moving to Dublin shortly and he practices French boxing or Savate.
    Is there any clubs that cater for it around or should he just take up Mauy Thai or MMA???

Would he be of a level where he could coach? I'm sure you'd find many people interested in learning Savate here.

• Advertisement

Yeah he's fairly decent. He hasn't been training much though so it would be a while before his fitness came back.

i hate giving advise to people about selfdefence but since you asked, boxing, any type of wrestling and real kickboxing are all a good start,
    oveless:a lot of people would'nt like savate,savate is a gentlemans martial art...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Massimo Giorgianni

Hi Redstar,

I know I should not because I am running myself a Wingtsun Traditionnal class( wingtsun.webs.com), but I definitely would recommend it if you are looking for a Self Defence Martial Art. Before Wingtsun I practiced Kick box, Muay Thay and Gouren ( kind of French Judo version ). Then discovered Wingtsun which has the same aggressivity that those sparring style + the application for street combat. Already saved my ass twice in real situation..

bye
    Massimo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭YamaMotoYama

Discovery or National Geographic did a show called Fight Quest where Savate was featured...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJxsPVOHNvU

Its not all that gentlemanly :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭hisholinessnb

Fight quest was a very good series, covered all sorts of martial arts. Would love to see them re-run the series.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Whats the best for self defense for a wee 5 ft 2 lass. I have done TKD before but I don't think it's any good if a scumbag is trying to rob your purse which happened to me not so long ago.

I'm gonna give you some really sensible advice here: If you're 5 foot 2 inches and female and some scummer wants your handbag: Give it to them.

edit: I'm not trying to be an ass, genuinely. To answer your question though, I would consider MMA for purely self defence purposes and / or look at combatives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Niall Keane

http://fliiby.com/file/819858/gu4ruhre2a.html

http://defensedanslarue.wordpress.com/history/the-dirty-tricks-of-the-french-apache/

Two interesting links there, have to say I always liked the sense of style Savate has. The use of everyday objects and clothing as typically available in the modern west, coupled with the deceitful use of common social exchanges such as greeting and apologies incorporated into its fighting strategy to set up advantages and techniques, this makes it a highly relevant self-defence system. It just seems to contain a grace, and an experienced intelligence beyond the many purely physical and overtly aggressive more brutish rather than brutal systems out there. It does require this strategic intelligence however, and in my experience the vast majority of those engaged in the study of martial arts, sorry that's unfair, the vast majority of people in general lack this and would rather roll up the tank and exchange savagery. Crowds cheer a slugger in a ring and all, but you got to admire a man more who can open up a muggers face with a disguised retreat and a concealed gesture normally associated with submission and compliance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Khannie wrote: »
    I'm gonna give you some really sensible advice here: If you're 5 foot 2 inches and female and some scummer wants your handbag: Give it to them.

+1.

And Khannie should know, because he's 5'2'' (and 1/2 in heels).

well the bloke was over 6 ft and guesss what..... he didn't get it off me...**** that I work too hard for my money to give it to some scumbags to either pis it away or but psychactives... Ta for the advice guys..Thinking some form of kick boxing cos its kinda similar to TKD without the patterns( didn't like that in TKD, prefer fighting)!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

Khannie wrote: »

What Khannie said.

I was going to suggest mace but then I remembered this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Niall Keane

I don't agree lads, I would agree that no woman is going to win k1 etc. And re. Protracted battles such as Judo, Muay Thai, Sanshou etc it's not realistic to expect a woman to deal with a trained man twice her weight.
    However my own wife was in a situation a few months ago on Abbey Street where a scumbag tried to take her bag. She held it tight droped her weight into it and twisted sending him to the pavement then ran off, he did too, it's a variation on flying oblique low for those of you who know the Tai Chi Chuan technique. But it got me thinking and confirmed to me the relevance of fast throws. Think about it how many men can lift 50-60kg with their outstretched arms or legs, so it comes down to leverage and following not resisting force. Not an easy thing to do, it certainly takes a he'll a lot more training to master compared to more male orientated striking and protracted wrestling technique as it's got to b there instantly. And that's the thing it will take a lot more than a two month evening course. Me and the Mrs have been fighting for 15 years. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭crosstrainer1

As bruce Lee used alot of savate In the Jeet Kune do System Why Not Try That

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭crosstrainer1

Hi

i train at Krause acadamey in Glasgow scotland under mike and steve krause who are savate instructors through the inosanto acadmey in L.a if your mate been training a number of years he welcome to train at our clubs in co down savate is a brillant art blends well with any system

Cool will let him know, dunno if he'd have the transport to get to Down though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Mobeus

I know this is a five year old post but I would like to update you all on the progress of Savate in Ireland. Currently there are three FISAV registered clubs in Ireland and they are all in Co. Mayo. There is White Tiger martial arts in Castlebar, White tiger in Breaffy and Savate Westport in Weztport. Currently these clubs are in the process of promoting the sport of Savate box francais in Ireland by hosting many national and international contests. One is coming up on the 21st of November and will play host to savateurs from France , Canada , England , Northern Ireland and Bulgaria. If anyone is interested in learning the art of Savate box francaise then check out "Savate Ireland" on Facebook. The more students that train with us the merrier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 hakunapesa

The 1595 club in Ireland study Savate as well as pugilism. They have a club running in Dublin . I think they also study cane fighting as well. Worth looking them up

Advertisement