Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road Signage (in pubs!)

Options
  • 06-07-2010 10:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭

From where do publicans get the signage? They are ubiquitous in Irish pubs abroad, but everywhere really. I know of two old N8 signs which have a definite future on the wall of some pub in continental Europe or beyond.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Furet wrote: »
    From where do publicans get the signage? They are ubiquitous in Irish pubs abroad, but everywhere really. I know of two old N8 signs which have a definite future on the wall of some pub in continental Europe or beyond.

Salvage yards, eBay, council yards, car boot sales. Removed to order - I have one such myself. :D

Check here for signs including Grafton Street! http://www.southeastnaturalslateandsalvage.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

What's the story with people surreptitiously removing old (useless) signage at night and flogging them on e-bay. Is it done?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

I saw signage left around off junction 2 on the M20 just after redesignation . It was the old N20 sign to the on-ramp. I didnt bother taking it though and now it's gone.

Furet wrote: »
    What's the story with people surreptitiously removing old (useless) signage at night and flogging them on e-bay. Is it done?

I couldn't possibly comment on that but how do you think so many things from railways, roads etc are preserved? The powers that be would rather see them in a skip than let anybody have them.

A rail sign on its way to preservation - many years ago - when I was a lot stronger! :D

signs005.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

A rail sign on its way to preservation - many years ago - when I was a lot stronger! :D

signs005.jpg

Immune to the auld Law of the Lever, I see ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Furet, local council yards are full of these signs. There is no bother getting them.;);) Need i say more.:)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,571 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Pre-1977 fingerposts used to be seen a lot in Irish pubs, though its a while since I've seen any. I think Johnnie Fox's has some???

I'm guessing that in the thirty-odd years since, a lot have been taken down and replaced with modern signage. You'll still find a good few in situ, even in Dublin city if you know where to look!

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Colm R

Béal na Bláth in Cork is a well know difficult place to find. Sign posts for it use to disappear within hours of them going up.

To be honest, a lot of signs might be manufactured to order.

Advertisement