Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home games

Options
  • 06-07-2010 10:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

Hey. Going to be playing a casual home game with some friends. Small cash entry.

Is Hold'em the usual/popular game to play at home? Or do people play where there are no community cards and you change as many cards as you like with the dealer?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Holdem is the game now, with some preferring Omaha.
    Very few play straight poker.
    How many people are playing? What sort of money are you talking about?
    If you want good fun & better hands have a go at Omaha. Or mix it up with a round of each.
    Most importantly have fun & don't lose too much.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 misetusame

Much appreciated.

It's 5 people, €5 a head.

I've dabbled in Hold'em but don't know Omaha. Is 'straight poker' the second type I described above?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

misetusame wrote: »
    Is 'straight poker' the second type I described above?

Yes

I've dabbled in Hold'em but don't know Omaha.
    In Omaha each player gets 4 hole cards . The board plays the same with Flop> Turn > River but you must use 2 (and only 2) of your hole cards & 3 cards off the board to make the best hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭AstonMartin

Play holdem for a while. 10,000 chips per player. first blind level 25/50. Double the blinds every 20 minutes. if you want more than one game per night decrease the time length in which you double the blinds. dont play omaha for a while, the game would probably end within 20 minutes and its pot limit betting is more complicated.

Much appreciated.

It's 5 people, €5 a head.

Playing poker with 5 people instead of lets say 8 or 9 is totally different. You can play alot more hands and be more aggressive. lower ranked hands are more likely to win

Try and gather a few more friends starting off. That way you will get to exprience playing 8 handed and 4-5 handed whan a few are knocked out

Another suggestion for you and your friends is a cash game. Everyone gets chips to the value of 5euro and blinds are 2cent/5cent. All bets are real money and when someone runs out of money the can buy back.

Keep the stakes small and dont fall out. My friends and I play these sort of games in houses. Some good food, cheap beer and abit of craic. keep it like that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 misetusame

Thanks for the advice, what I needed.
    Another suggestion for you and your friends is a cash game. Everyone gets chips to the value of 5euro and blinds are 2cent/5cent. All bets are real money and when someone runs out of money the can buy back.

I don't get this exactly. Do you still give, say, 10,000 chips for €5? And then you have 2c and 5c real coins? Sorry for such nooby questions. I had seen it that you get, say, 10,000 chips whatever the cash being paid. Then the top 2 winners get a proportional share of the cash pot.

sorry i may not have been very clear about cash games. Lets put it this way. Get your poker chips and assign each colour a real mnoey value. Red = 1cent green = 2cent yellow =10 cent etc. all the way up to a euro Give each player 5 euros worth of thes chips and get them to put a fiver in the pot.

Now play poker the normal with you big blinds at 2cent and 5 cent. Say you bet three yellow chips in a hand. you are betting 30 cent of your own money(real money).

Blinds dont change for the night

If some looses all their chips they can put another fiver in the pot and get another fivers worth of chips and play on. People can also leave whenever they want

After the end of the night count up your chips. say you have 11.98 worth of chips. thats what you get out of the pot.

Cash games are something different because you are betting real money every hand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭Daithio9

Hey. Going to be playing a casual home game with some friends. Small cash entry.

Is Hold'em the usual/popular game to play at home? Or do people play where there are no community cards and you change as many cards as you like with the dealer?
    Yes defo play no limit Texas holdem, it's by far and away the most popular game atm and is the easiest to teach and learn, don't play omaha until all players are competent/comfortable with playing holdem.
    Also FYI there is no poker game called "straight" poker, what you described above is called draw poker and there are many different variants of draw poker the most common in Ireland been 5 card draw.

Advertisement