Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surgery has intererfered with appearence

Options
  • 06-07-2010 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Today I just had surgery and had a device called a portacath fitted into my chest just below my collarbone. It's basically a little implant under the skin that I will using now and again for treatment for a health condition I have, nothing major. Almost all people who have chemotereapy have this device so some people may be familiar with it. Now I'm young at 21, have a decent enough body, height and am good looking but there is now a bit of a bulge on the front of my chest and I can see it through the t-shirt I have on today. The doctor told me that because I have no fat on my chest but just muscle then this bulge will always be seen. I know I sound shallow but it's bugging me now, what would your advice be? I always liked to wear tight enough tops but i guess it's out of the question now :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Generally the more you try to mask something, the more you draw attention to it,,,,but if you're v conscious, wear a corsage, a thin scarf, a necklace, customise your tshirt wish some haberdashery stuff....
    If fashion has moved forward to accomodate masectomies, ect, then I see no reason why it can't accomodate this. Just requires a bit of lateral thinking! Experiment a bit. See a dress designer for suggestions, look at magazines for inspiration.
    Will you have the port thing longterm, or is it a temporary treatment for your condition?

Advertisement