Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need so Inspiration!

Options
  • 06-07-2010 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

I'm looking for some inspiration for the next book I should read. The last one I read was by Jodi Picoult and my current one is George Orwell so my tastes vary HUGELY! Any suggestions or reviews would be very helpful :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

For no other reason than that I read it recently and though it was very good - We Need to Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver. Didn't think I'd enjoy it as much as I did. At first glance, looks like a book about the High School shooting phenomenon, but, er, don't judge a book by it's cover. It covers much more interesting themes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

Haha, what George Orwell book?

Lord of the Flies is very good, and is pretty easy to get into, in my opinion, so it suits someone who has read George Orwell, because Orwell is often the first port of call for "literary" readers, excuse the boloxology, etcetera. Review (because you asked!) here: http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=66531784&postcount=22 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

I absolutely adored All the Pretty Horses by Cormac McCarthy. & the two following books that make up the Border Trilogy. Beautiful language & characters i felt so attached to id a lump in throat putting it down at the end. I really couldn't recommend it enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers

• Registered Users Posts: 7 ShellGoBang

It's 1984, Eliot. And thanks for the review, I'll be sure to read it!

A Curious Incident is a very good book, the Picoult book I read recently also dealt with autism so your suggestion actually tied in very well!!

Thanks for all the suggestions guys!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

sentient_6 wrote: »
    I absolutely adored All the Pretty Horses by Cormac McCarthy. & the two following books that make up the Border Trilogy. Beautiful language & characters i felt so attached to id a lump in throat putting it down at the end. I really couldn't recommend it enough.

Oh excited, this trilogy is next in the pile on my locker. woo hoo, love it when i know a book is going to be good!

Back to the op, have you read any Steinbeck? The grapes of Wrath and East of Eden are two of my favourite books, also The Pearl, The Red Pony are nice quick reads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

gogo wrote: »
    Oh excited, this trilogy is next in the pile on my locker. woo hoo, love it when i know a book is going to be good!

I'm cautiously optimistic :)......let us know how you get on!

Advertisement