Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

why is this?

Options
  • 06-07-2010 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

not a huge issue but just curious about the following, its happened me a few times lately and i was just wondering about it..

Guys coming up to me randomly on night outs and telling me i "i just wanted to tell you, you look absolutely beautiful/gorgeous" and then walking away (i'm not being conceited, most of the time i feel like a beached whale :( ) i don't get it?! do guys do this a lot? why? i'm single so i'd love it if these guys would stay and chat to me but .. they just come up, say it and walk away??! Am i being naive, is it just them trying to get in my pants, if it is why don't they at least stay and chat me up??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

not a huge issue but just curious about the following, its happened me a few times lately and i was just wondering about it..

Guys coming up to me randomly on night outs and telling me i "i just wanted to tell you, you look absolutely beautiful/gorgeous" and then walking away (i'm not being conceited, most of the time i feel like a beached whale :( ) i don't get it?! do guys do this a lot? why? i'm single so i'd love it if these guys would stay and chat to me but .. they just come up, say it and walk away??! Am i being naive, is it just them trying to get in my pants, if it is why don't they at least stay and chat me up??

Men are usually always trying to get into a woman's pants, obviously. But you must be soft on the eye just the same for them to say it anyway. But yes, it's all about sex. Don't let anybody ever kid you into believing that romance nonsense, touching as it is.

Anyway, your answer: maybe they are shy? There are plenty of guys who fear rejection and would rather not push it with you if they think you're above them. I've heard arsehole guys says terrible things to women so start to worry about the places you hang out in when this starts happening. In the meantime try and meet sober lads.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 25 irishdub74

Hi op, it takes so much bottle to go up and tell someone that they look beautiful, i said it once to a girl,and i wasn't trying to get into her pants i just thought she looked amazing and i thought it might be nice to just make someone feel good. I am a bit of a romantic but it doesn't make someone a gob****e because they still belive in romance.
    Op hopefully it will give you some confidence and even if someone says it again try and get a conversation going before they do walk away..

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Dwn Wth Vwls

Sounds like this: http://www.sosuave.com/quick/tip197.htm
    Walk up to her, smile, and say something like this, "Excuse me. My name’s Bob (or whatever). I couldn’t help noticing your (dancing, outfit, smile, eyes, etc.) and I just wanted to let you know that."

Wait only until she looks at you, maybe smiles and thanks you for the compliment, then say something about her having a good day or a good evening and WALK AWAY.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

It happens to me a lot as well. I either assume I look intimidating/mean as I often scowl without meaning to (it's the way my face is!) or that it's some sort of 'tactic', as someone else has suggested. If it is a tactic, it's not going to get them anywhere with me, as I'm not going to go and chase someone who's just walked off and I hate game players. I just say thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭BumbleB

Guys coming up to me randomly on night outs and telling me i "i just wanted to tell you, you look absolutely beautiful/gorgeous"

That old chestnut.......

Next time that happens , say thank you ! youre so sweet . He'll stay when he knows he's welcome .Easy .....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Drodan

Wise up people, the guys doing this want the girl to go after them. It's llike opening without the chance of rejection. Guy says your pretty, he hopes then you'll go approach him after he walks away. Childish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭AnonMous

I reckon guys that do this would probably think that they wouldn't have a chance of getting to chat to you. i.e. they probably think that you are out of their league, but still want to pay the compliment anyway!

If you want them to stay, why not shout after them something like "where you off to?...you can't just say something like that and walk away"...

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I think I might have done that years ago once or twice.

You see someone "so good looking it hurts" and you don't think that you'd have any chance with them but you would like to let them know that you appreciate how amazingly pretty they are.

Sorry for crashing but my ex recently turned to me and said "You are really beautiful, do you know that" and then maintained he wanted wanted us to move on and let him go. WTF????? Would love a guys perspective on this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Probably just attempting to build up confidence with girls to be honest. For an awful lot of lads approaching girls even to say hi is utterly terrifying so they're probably just using you as a sort of test if you get me. They might have the aim of doing this to 10 girls every weekend for a month or something to get over their fear before they actually hang around for a conversation. Sounds the mostl likely explanation to me.

Either that or they're just being nice :)

• Advertisement

Is there a reason why a guy would keep calling you boring then ask for your number? bit puzzled:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

they are drunk and just want a shag.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

I have a really daft thought..

Is it at all possible that the op actually does look attractive and that these guys are actually simply trying to pass a compliment?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭magicianz

It's the good old 'pick-up artist' technique IMO. Go up, compliment a girl, walk away, girl is confused and intrigued, girl chases guy. Reverses the roles and what not!

That said, some guys do genuinely mean it if the compliment a girl but when I have done it it's more specific, not just a general 'your beautiful' :)

That's just my view on the subject :D

Advertisement