Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish safari

Options
  • 06-07-2010 8:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭

I've been to see wildlife in quite a few countries and my favourite wildlife viewing experience was a 5 nights spent in the Kalahari desert. Recently I've been wondering what wildlife I might see if I dedicated 5 nights in a good location in Ireland. In the Kalahari, my wife and I drove for about 11 hours per day and at times went long stretches without seeing much of interest. Now I know there will be less to see in any location in Ireland, but surely with a bit of research and similar determination I could have a lot of success?

So, I'd love some suggestions - Where should I go? What can I expect to see? What are my chances of a sighting? What time of year would be best? Where can I get more localised information about the species I might see?

I'd love to see a variety of wildlife but would be willing to sacrifice that if it significantly increased my chances of good sightings of charismatic creatures. I would particularly like to watch foxes and badgers. Stoats, pine martens, seals, and owls would also be nice. I'm not much into bird watching, but a bird of prey could interest me. Babies of any species are always nice to see too. Anyway, I look forward to hearing your suggestions, whatever they be!

Thanks

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 328 ✭✭thefly

cfitz wrote: »
    I've been to see wildlife in quite a few countries and my favourite wildlife viewing experience was a 5 nights spent in the Kalahari desert. Recently I've been wondering what wildlife I might see if I dedicated 5 nights in a good location in Ireland. In the Kalahari, my wife and I drove for about 11 hours per day and at times went long stretches without seeing much of interest. Now I know there will be less to see in any location in Ireland, but surely with a bit of research and similar determination I could have a lot of success?

So, I'd love some suggestions - Where should I go? What can I expect to see? What are my chances of a sighting? What time of year would be best? Where can I get more localised information about the species I might see?

I'd love to see a variety of wildlife but would be willing to sacrifice that if it significantly increased my chances of good sightings of charismatic creatures. I would particularly like to watch foxes and badgers. Stoats, pine martens, seals, and owls would also be nice. I'm not much into bird watching, but a bird of prey could interest me. Babies of any species are always nice to see too. Anyway, I look forward to hearing your suggestions, whatever they be!

Thanks

Go to the west and look for Pine Martins. Very elusive animals. I would love to see one

This is the second thread today that mentions Pinemartins . In the Animals forum there is one killing cats .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

This is the second thread today that mentions Pinemartins . In the Animals forum there is one killing cats .

May have killed a Cat, not proven yet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭cfitz

Surely someone here can help?? I've done some reading up but I can't find anything very useful.

Advertisement