Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you buy an Android based tablet?

Options
  • 06-07-2010 6:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭

So with all the buzz about Tablets at the moment and lots of rumours of Android based devices due towards the end of the year would you buy one?

An iPad sized device with wifi and 60GBish would be an instant buy for me.

Are you going to buy a Tablet device? 32 votes

Yes I'd prefer an Android based device
    0%
    Yes but not an Android based device
    96%
    regiVenomDr. LoonKrusty_ClownjustsomeblokeniallbJohnKjimmycrackcormgpjordanf1zodInquitusjohnpozzEasyBoy19743rdDegreemickoneill30lord lucanSpipovJAMM222allen175 31 votes
    No I don't see the point of Tablets
    3%
    Celestial Deity 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I have an iPad 16GB, I would swap it for a decent Android device in a heartbeat.

Though apple Fanbois will claim the lack of Flash is a good thing, it's not it's a pain in the arse. Alot of the internet uses flash, from BBC News in their interactive content, to RTE with RTE Player and RTE live.

Having to jailbreak it and use cydia hacks to enable folders and multitasking is irritating, although they greatly improve functionality, at the same time, the cydia hacks lack polish and are ugly.

The Safari browser is incredibly slow compared to the stock Android browser.

The ties to mp4 are irritating, and whilst you can get round them by streaming stuff from Air Video, its ridiculous it doesnt support avi and mkv, it is a device you use heavily at home, so even if other formats caned the battery, its a moot point.

Having to use iTunes is a fecking irritation, not being able to drag and drop stuff from multiple computers.

Roll on an Android Tablet as well polished as the iPad and I am off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Yeah I can see myself getting a tablet at some point and android would be good OS for it. The only thing I'd hold off for is a proper xvid/mkv player to come to android but with that rock player demo going around we're nearly half way there.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Ample Free ...?

It would want to be fairly powerful and I'd have to have a play with one first to see if I really wanted one. I'm not a huge fan of tablets, particularly baring in mind how powerful some notebooks are and they already come in all shapes and sizes with a huge amount of functionality. All in all it would want to be brilliant for me to pay a pretty big chunk of cash just to fill the small gap between my smartphone and my laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

While i've no intention of moving to a Tablet any time soon,i know when i do go down that road that it'll be on the Android Platform. Having had an Android phone for the last 6 months i've become a huge fan of all things Android. The way it's so open is a massive winner with me. I can do whatever i want with it,not what the Hardware or Software provider allow me to. Having that in a tablet form is a no-brainer imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Celestial Deity

No I don't see the point of Tablets
    I quite like the iPad…

*runs*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Yes, but not a 10" one, it's too big. I liked the iPad but its size and weight were off-putting.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭pwwillia

which android tablet would you see as the potential main rival to the ipad? curious as i've been looking to buy one or wait if theres something coming out on the horizon.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

pwwillia wrote: »
    which android tablet would you see as the potential main rival to the ipad? curious as i've been looking to buy one or wait if theres something coming out on the horizon.

You will have to wait til Q1 or Q2 2011 imo, to see a worthy replacement for the iPad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

I just can't see the point of a tablet.

On the move, the phone screen is fine for viewing stuff. At home, my laptop does that job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

I am seriously considering an ipad as there are no decent androids ones around. I watch the kids with a laptop on their knees and think a tablet would work much better. Add in universal remote control software and you've got a multimedia control screen as well.

I wouldn't carry it around (out of the house). For me its no replacement for a laptop and for anything simpler I use my desire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

EPM wrote: »
    I just can't see the point of a tablet.

On the move, the phone screen is fine for viewing stuff. At home, my laptop does that job.

A laptops great but I'd never have one on my lap while I'm sitting in front of the tv just pissing about on the net and although I use my phone for that now I do feel the screen is a bit small and trying to navigate some sites can be difficult with all the tiny links etc. I think a tablet would be perfect in that situation and really that would be my main use for it. I'd probably use it for reading and movies but that would be secondary.

Advertisement