Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galvanising Gates

Options
  • 06-07-2010 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

Hi,

I've just got a set of gates for my house and was wondering where is the cheapest place i could get the galvanised?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Galco on the Togher Ind estate is good place they charge by weight IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Elaine08

Yeah i heard Galco Steel is good and i think its €1 per kg. My gates are heavy enough

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

Elaine08 wrote: »
    Yeah i heard Galco Steel is good and i think its €1 per kg. My gates are heavy enough

Galco are rough to say the least. The quality of their dipping is poor and the baths are not cleaned on a regular basis. If at all possible I would use another company, there is one in waterford and a co up the north.

Hi Homer Hop,

Do you know where the one in Waterford is and what the name is? Many thanks for your help

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭3dsteel

homerhop wrote: »
    Galco are rough to say the least. The quality of their dipping is poor and the baths are not cleaned on a regular basis. If at all possible I would use another company, there is one in waterford and a co up the north.

If you ask me they're all rough!!:D For your info; Galco now own the Waterford galvanising plant too!

Elaine, I don't know where you are but there are only 6 galvanising companys in the republic and 4 more up north (as far as I know). You'll find a list of these at the hdg.org.uk website. I usually use IPW in Cork.

http://www.hdg.org.uk/index.php?cms_id=372&sectionTitle=Eire

http://www.hdg.org.uk/index.php?cms_id=371&sectionTitle=Northern+Ireland

• Advertisement

thanks for you reply. i'm close to waterford. i will have a look at the sites thanks very much

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭simatoel

I've a pair of old wrought iron gates, many layers of paint and some corrosion. Anyone know where I can get them stripped as well as galvanised

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

Anyone do sand blasting near you? they will bring the gates back to bare metal and you can get them dipped then. If they are very old just check to see were the joints lead sealed, if they were i reckon galv dipping wouldnt be in the running for them. you can get a good zinc based primer that will give good protection once you get them cleaned back to metal.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭simatoel

Thanks Homerhop. Sprint coatings Ballycoolin who galvanise also shot blast, prime and powdercoat, so i'm going for that. Gates cant be galvanised like you said, they're too old and would fall apart, the galvanising bath would melt the lead if they're lead sealed at the joints. Costs about 300 plus VAT for a pair of 5' by 4' gates.

Advertisement