Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

References from College

Options
  • 06-07-2010 2:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭

...who does one contact for this? Tutor? Student Records?

Presumably when an employer calls a college for a reference they're looking for academic performance records etc and not a character reference, so if it is a tutor, the fact that I've met mine exactly once (at the obligatory "hi, I'm your tutor, the less you see of me the better" meeting), it won't be a problem. Right?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Fedule wrote: »
    ...who does one contact for this? Tutor? Student Records?

Presumably when an employer calls a college for a reference they're looking for academic performance records etc and not a character reference, so if it is a tutor, the fact that I've met mine exactly once (at the obligatory "hi, I'm your tutor, the less you see of me the better" meeting), it won't be a problem. Right?

A lecturer you get on with usually. Who was your thesis supervisor or who have you had consistently over the last couple of years and have done well under? These are the ones to ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Craguls

I just asked one of my tutors from a tutorial and she gave me a glowing one.

I'd suggest what El Siglo says if they know you they'd likely give you a good one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Fedule

Ah, I've not finished college yet (finished 3rd year). I ask because I've only got one employer reference, and a lot of forms I've seen specifically call for a college reference if you dont have enough employer references (most require two).

I've not seen much of my lecturers outside of, well, lectures - though I've done equally well under all of them so far. I can guarantee none of them know anything about me that isn't on my record (though my record is good!).

Advertisement