Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Early Bird in Cork city?

Options
  • 06-07-2010 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Hi,

Hoping to head out later for dinner in Cork city. Any ideas which restaurants in Cork have early bird menus and nice food? :confused:

Don't have a clue where to go.... Open to all types of food.

Any help would be REALLY appreciated:)

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Here's a good enough site to have a look at pricewise
    Market Lane was good the last time I went, can get a bit busy though.
    Went to Soho a few weeks ago for my sister's graduation, was a great meal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

The nicest meal I had in Cork city in the last few months was an early bird in Isaacs - just went with a colleague after a long day a work and wanted something unfussy.

They do an early bird as below (from their site) starter, main and pudding or you can swap one course for a glass of wine. Not the cheapest but certainly the tastiest I had in Cork in ages and it is still the nicest dining room in Cork
    Midweek dinner menu, Monday –Wednesday

Early bird: Thursday – Saturday €25.00

Soup of the day/ seafood chowder

Potato cake with grilled black pudding & glazed apples

Grilled fillet of salmon with buttered spinach & chive sauce

Penne with flat & wild mushroom sauce & smoked bacon

Grilled 8oz rib eye steak with béarnaise sauce

Apple & chocolate crumble with cream

Caramel ice cream with butterscotch sauce & bananas

(Note: any course may be substituted for a glass of wine

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Zippacat

Thanks! They all look great. :)

Has anyone eaten in Cafe Mexicana or Luigi Malones? Heard mixed reviews on both places. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭NoDice

I've been to Luigi Malones. Nice simple dishes and is quite good price wise for early bird especially. Wasn't a fan of the steak on the early bird menu but every thing else I've had there was really nice.

http://www.luigimalones.com/menu.php?page=menu

the prices are above, I'd check it out if you're looking for somewhere casual with good service and nice food.

Isaacs is amazing food wise but can be costly depending on what you're getting.

Hope you find a nice place for yourself. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭darkmaster2

This place has a decent early bird.
    Best indian around.

http://www.lalquila.ie/

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the help. :) It looks like Issacs is most liked.

Does anyone know about Cafe Mexicana? I've seen their early bird but heard the food isn't that great.

So far I think it's between Luigi Malones ad Issacs.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭NoDice

I've a few friends who love Cafe mexicana tbh. It's just not my thing so I've always steered away from it.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,991 ✭✭✭Barr

Went to Greens last month , great earlybird and no supplement for the steak.

This is a tough decision....:confused:

At the moment its between Luigi Malones, Cafe Mexicana and Issacs... They all look great.

Are these the best or are there any others ye would recommend?

If you had to pick between them which would ye pick? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Cadyboo

Soho is my favourite place. 25e for early bird mon to wed.
    Check out menupages.ie and filter on the right, best for early birds.
    Love that website

• Advertisement

SoHo looks really great too. There are too many choices! :D

Now it's between four... So indecisive

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Cadyboo

Zippacat wrote: »
    SoHo looks really great too. There are too many choices! :D

Now it's between four... So indecisive

I have never been to Isaacs, but if it was between Luigi and soho, Id choose Soho.

Do eenie meenie miny mo, lol!

Haha. I think that's what i'll have to do.

Thanks for all the help. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭Trashbat

Barr wrote: »
    Went to Greens last month , great earlybird and no supplement for the steak.

Yeah, Greens is advertising a number of special offers on Toptable at the moment. I just booked a table for saturday as i'm back for the weekend. They have an early bird and the menu looks very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭happyeveryday

Just throwing another website that makes searching for deals easy. www.thatsagreatoffer.com or there is an iPhone App 'GreatOffer' for those who love their apps.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭newbee22

The Market Lane and Luigi Malones are really nice

Market Lane is great, was there yesterday but didn't have the early bird menu, it is outstanding value though. Zac's have a great early bird menu too. Was only in Isaacs recently, food was fine but didn't enjoy the restaurant experience, I prefer the liveliness that is in Market Lane rather than the linen table cloth ambiance in Isaacs. I never had the early bird menu in Soho but as a restaurant I reckon it's overpriced for what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

RoverJames wrote: »
    Market Lane is great, was there yesterday but didn't have the early bird menu, it is outstanding value though. Zac's have a great early bird menu too. Was only in Isaacs recently, food was fine but didn't enjoy the restaurant experience, I prefer the liveliness that is in Market Lane rather than the linen table cloth ambiance in Isaacs.

linen table cloth ambiance in Isaacs? Issacs don't use table clothes at all.

evilivor wrote: »
    linen table cloth ambiance in Isaacs? Issacs don't use table clothes at all.

I know, I never said they did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 shoeaddict27

try the bishopstown bar! :)

I went there twice in the last week because their early bird was so good. they offer two courses and a glass of wine for 18euro! not bad!

the food was delicious and they gave generous portions. The staff were very friendly. I went there last week and brought a friend of mine who was down from dublin for the weekend, she was well impressed.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,991 ✭✭✭Barr

Tried the Briar Rose in Douglas on Sunday , very impressed . 4 courses with tea/coffee for €20.
    You cant go wrong :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭gunnerfitzy

We're going to try the early bird in Greenes tomorrow night going on recommendations here :)

I'd be interested to hear any other recommendations for Early Bird meals.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭howareyoudoin'

We're going to try the early bird in Greenes tomorrow night going on recommendations here :)

I'd be interested to hear any other recommendations for Early Bird meals.

There's a new place in Douglas - the Bay Leaf (on main drag, between the two bookies). I went there on another recommendation on Weds evening. 4 course early bird for €19.95 & nearly all of the choices are from their main menu. Nice set up, nice staff & we both did enjoy the food.

Also, I'm a big fan of Hardwood over on Pope's Quay (close to the pedestrian bridge). They've been doing an early bird longer than anyone else in town & although I haven't been there in a while, it used to be great - less than €20 for 4 courses or 3 courses & glass of wine. They do a GREAT brunch too...best Eggs Benedict on this side of the Atlantic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Luigi Malones is a sorry excuse for a restaurant. The food is sh!t.

Cafe Mexicana is tasty, but I'd only go there if I was starving and just wanted loads of cheesey, tasty food.

Early bird: Hardwood, The Cornstore, Casanova, Augustines, Bombay Palace (Best Indian in Cork, imo) are all decent, though it's my understanding that Hardwood's quality has dipped quite a bit in the last 12 months, last time I ate there it wasn't great, but used to be one of my favourite restaurants.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Plautus

Really surprised The Strasbourg Goose on French Church Street hasn't been mentioned. Three course meal for 20 euro all evening last time I was there - and the food is always seasonal and well ... damned good!

And I'll second Luigi's being ... not so good. The food has an assembly line quality to it, if you catch me.

Dermighty wrote: »
    Augustines.

is now no more me thinks (unless they relocated without leaving a sign in the window)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

RoverJames wrote: »
    is now no more me thinks (unless they relocated without leaving a sign in the window)

It's moved to the Clarion.

Advertisement