Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to eat a good quick informal meal on N4/N5 near Longford town?

Options
  • 06-07-2010 10:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭

Will be passing though Longford town around 8pm next Friday evening (on the way to Mayo) and will want to stop somewhere for a quick bite to eat, either in the town or somewhere say 30km either side of it on the N4/N5.

Any recommendations for somewhere for a quick informal casual meal (main course, maybe dessert), but with good quality food (not a chipper!). Perhaps an Italian restaurant?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,539 ✭✭✭baldbear

I like Keenans of Tarmonbarry for a good pub meal. Good food and good service. 10 mins outside Longford on the Western side.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭mambo

Thanks for that. The Purple Onion also in Tarmonbarry seems to be another option.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭garfieldsghost

I'd favour the Purple Onion over Keenans.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭scudster

Luigi's, Main st Longford! espcially after a few bevvies :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,781 ✭✭✭SeanW

The OP did say no chippers.

That having been said, Luigi's is the best! Defo recommended.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭X1R

The Purple Onion is excellent, however there are only 2 sittings (7pm & 9pm). Keenans is ok, but the portions are far to big.
    You can try The Percy French hotel in strokestown (15 mins) from Longford on the N5. There is a carvery after the full lunch sitting. Nice and handy, carpark out the back.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Knit wit

You could try Doyle and Kaldi on Main Street in Longford town. It's above Stensons Chemist - informal but lovely choice of menu and excellent service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭davehey79

Douglas and Kaldi is the name isn't it ? SEE HERE

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I've had food in D&K before, it is pretty nice. And I agree about the service, was very pleasant.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Knit wit

I think I have Doyle on the brain ... too many episodes of Fr. Ted!:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

At least it's a good show to have on the brain :P

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭mambo

Thanks for the tips... we refuelled in Keenans, and made it to Mayo successfully!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

mambo wrote: »
    Thanks for the tips... we refuelled in Keenans, and made it to Mayo successfully!

Keenans is lovley. I always stop there. I think they are lovley there. That purple onion may have better food but they are one ignorent shower. I went in there before and a fella serving with a beard treated us like sh1t. Never again.

Advertisement