Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

chance of job

Options
  • 05-07-2010 11:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭

do people have chnace of getting job with only plc course and fas course stand a against people who have degrees(hons).i suppose not.

not all people are brilliant at school or at collage.end up leaving collage having no chance of getting against who degrees and worse of hons or masters degree:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,107 ✭✭✭✭looksee

It depends to some extent what your course is. Childcare, Beauty Therapy, other Care courses, Hairdressing and probably others (those are the ones I know about) can get you into a job at trainee level.

Other fetac courses lead you on to higher education. Fetac gives you the chance you missed out on at school, helps you get into third level.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Further Ed.

Apart from depending on your area of study it will also depend on your past experience and the requirements of any registration agency e.g. Teacher's Council etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭ladylouise

i suppose not against some one with higher education then one plc course don,t stand a chance against some hons degree.i feel stupid because i could n,t pass 2nd in collage to some one who almost masters degree i feel really stupid

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

It depends on the kind of job you are going for as well. While jobs in general are thin on the ground at the moment, I know of plenty of people in the past who couldn't get jobs because they were overqualified. Employers didn't want them because they figured these people were only using the job as a stop gap to something better or would get bored quickly and leave.

I work in a small PLC centre, we offer Business/IT and Childcare PLCs. We've had a good track record over the years in terms of our students getting jobs afterwards, but they were jobs they were able and qualified to do, eg. working in local creches, as receptionists, in call centres (MBNA is the big local employer), admin/secretarial work etc etc. Many of them are still in the jobs they took up after finishing the PLC because they were looking for employment in the long term. Obviously don't expect to land a job that requires a degree if your qualification is a PLC, but don't rule yourself out of the ones you are qualified to do either.

Advertisement