Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insane guilt after alcohol

Options
  • 05-07-2010 11:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I did something really stupid friday night, accused someone i had just met of steeling and had a great night with this person, this was after far too much alcohol all day

since then my body has just totally shut down, i ended up drinking all day saturday and went out again that night.

didnt drink sunday or today, but have barely eaten, food wont stay up. i dont care about that for now. i just feel like a total d1ckhead and i know if i was even slightly sober at the time i would never have said anything stupid like i did

this guilt is really eating me alive, like its constantly on my mind, didnt get a winks eye sleep last night and hence missed work today

didnt get the persons number so i cant apoligise either

Iv decided to quit alcohol now or at least just stick to a quiet 6 pack on the weekend, and not drink that much again.

Does anyone no a good way to deal with hangover guilt? dreading work tomorrow

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭AngryBadger

Hi OP,

I have a phD in drinking too much and regretting it afterward! (honestly I'd say most people do!) I'll say 3 things

1) The obvious, limit yourself when you go drinking, if I want to control my consumption on a night out I'll only bring out a certain amount of money and leave my bank card behind me, best way to stop myself drinking more than I'm comfortable with.

2) Learn to let it go, we all screw up from time to time, that's not excusing it, just acknowledging the fact that it happens, we can spend our lives regretting our mistakes, or we can face-palm ourselves the next day and try not to do it again.

3) Are there any underlying issues here? Your post suggests this isn't the first time you've found yourself in this situation, my own experience has been that when something is bothering me and I go out drinking it almost always comes to the surface. It's like problem just bubble away out of sight and then at a certain point of drunkeness they surge to the surface and we become different people.

My own experience has been that where I've been able to identify issues and deal with them I'm actually a much happier drunk afterward. These days I have a tendency to go wandering after too much drink, but that's a lot better than me hulking out believe me ;p

If you can contact this person and apologise it may help you feel better in this instance. Failing that put it out of your head, you can't undo it, so there's no point tormenting yourself further.

Certainly do not go into work tormented over this, I guarantee you that on your transgression is way down the list of alcohol-driven screw-ups :p

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

underlying issues would probably include aniexty disorder which i never got any medication for

i could be the happiest guy in the world one night after drinking but usually im an angry drunk, i can even remember talking down to some people who were nice enuff and say hello to me who i havent seen for years on friday

i know myself what i have to do i think, eat and sleep better, less drink. im not gona find that person and apoligise as it would be borderline stalking imo - the person was lovely and we had a laugh as you know but its not that im attracted to her, its just i feel like absolute garbage for treating her like sh1t, she left straight away and had to walk like 2 miles home alone

Advertisement