Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Go Alone

Options
  • 05-07-2010 11:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I find myself single this summer and was thinking about holidaying alone.

Therefore just wondering if others have any recommendations in terms of destinations/locations
    I don't have loads of money so someone in Europe.
    I would be open to a cooking holiday/organised event or something like that not an adventure one though.

A couple of things though:

***I would rather not stay in hostels though as this would not really be a holiday for me though I know they are good for meeting people/

***I do not want to go on a "singles holiday"

I am female aged 30. I would be fine spending the day by myself but would be nice to meet others for dinner/drinks

Thanks so much

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Before I got married, I often went on holiday alone, as I had no-one else to go with.

The first time I did it, it sounded like a good idea in principle, but the minute the coach dropped me off, I thought - 'Oh **** what've I done now???'

But - I stayed in a B & B, and managed to make friends when I went out. Ended up ganging up with a couple of Scots, went clubbing with some mental Dublin boys, and a couple of Geordie girls, had more invitations to dinner at the homes of the barmen & maids where I stayed than I could count. I had company, but time alone just sitting on the beach with a bottle of beer or a glass of ouzo watching the sun go down. And you know what? I had the BEST time! Stress-free too, as I didn't have to referee rows, put up with sulks, and I could go where I wanted! :D. This was in Rhodes, by the way.

The only thing I would say is choose somewhere where it's relatively safe for lone travellers, and the hassle-factor is lower. You won't be sorry! Greece would be good, Spain, France or Italy. DON'T go to Turkey. The fellas can be a nuisance, and you won't get a minute's peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭little lady

Hi OP,

There are a few of us singletons trying to organise a holiday in Rome for August if you wanted to join us. We are all in and around our 30s, I'm 33 and in the same boat as you. Here's a link to the thread if you want to have a look.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054941846

• Registered Users Posts: 5,763 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Would you be interested in a walking holiday? The Camino de Santiago in Spain s good for solo travellers. You don't have to stay in hostels if you don't want. There are several companies who will put you up in small hotels along the way.

And you don't have to walk the whole thing. I'm going out on Saturday to walk the last 100km. I'm not worried about going out alone as I know there'll be lots of people like me there. As long as I have some company at dinner/ for a few drinks I'm happy being out and about by myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

holiday1 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I find myself single this summer and was thinking about holidaying alone.

Therefore just wondering if others have any recommendations in terms of destinations/locations
    I don't have loads of money so someone in Europe.
    I would be open to a cooking holiday/organised event or something like that not an adventure one though.

A couple of things though:

***I would rather not stay in hostels though as this would not really be a holiday for me though I know they are good for meeting people/

***I do not want to go on a "singles holiday"

I am female aged 30. I would be fine spending the day by myself but would be nice to meet others for dinner/drinks

Thanks so much

Crete is nice. I went there on my own a few times and was happy to stay in basic but clean family run guesthouses. I don't know if you'd be happy with that but I had a great time. If you are happy travelling around the bus service is great and there are lots of places to see.

I've done walking/climbing holidays, horseriding holidays and one singles holiday but I wouldn't recommend the singles holiday.

Exodus organises some nice holidays, get their brochures, I think they do cooking holidays with some non-strenuous walking thrown in.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi OP here,

Thanks everyone for your great replies!

Best Wishes to you all

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Snail30

http://skyros.com/singles_holidays.htm

Supposed to be great but may be a tad expensive at this time of the year :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Go!

I finished up my job, went to Rome for a week
    Didn't know a soul and meet up with an American group

You'll meet people anywhere OP.

Aglomerado wrote: »
    Would you be interested in a walking holiday? The Camino de Santiago in Spain s good for solo travellers. You don't have to stay in hostels if you don't want. There are several companies who will put you up in small hotels along the way.

This is a fantastic idea, do this :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34 lillykay

oooh yes you should do the Camino de Santiago!
    I did that in my own this april, was fantastic, only thing id say is its VERY busy this july and august as its a holy year, also v v hot in summer.

But its a fantastic way to meet people if youre alone, everyone is so friendly, i ended up with a bunch of 10 people, stuck together mostly along the way and even had a little romance too!!

whatever you choose, dont be afraid to head off alone, have fun!!

Advertisement