Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Handy Gift for travelling??

Options
  • 05-07-2010 10:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas for a gift to give a friend who is going travelling for a year. Obviously it has to be small considering she'll be backpacking, something useful and practical might be good?? Any ideas would be much appreciated! Gura míle ;)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Hersheys

- A (mini) first aid kit
    - A USB key (for photos etc)
    - A photo-keyring with photos of friends/family
    - A journal/travel diary
    - A travel adaptor

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Lynfo

My brother in law went travelling recently and we bought him one of these: http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/2848703/art/flip/video-ultra-2-mini-camcor.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭dermothickey

A leatherman, trust me they will be very grateful, also a headtorch, for reading or when they come in late at night to a hostel and need to be discreet.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Darthvadar

A Money Belt... Essential....

Good Quality Socks... As they're likely to be doing lots of walking, blisters are a No-No...

A Travel Towel... Very good size, soft and very absorbent... Dries very quickly too... I have one called the KarryMore... Comes in a plastic pouch, and folds very small...

A good Travel Insurance Policy...

Earplugs... Sounds daft, but your fellow travellers might not be as considerate of your need for sleep....

Cheap, very light Flip-Flops... Hostel shower trays may not be as Verruca Free as you'd like!...:D

For dealing with those boring times, a pack of playing cards could be a lifesaver!...

Steripen... Only weighs about four ounces with battery... Uses Ultra-Violet light to destroy bacteria, viruses, etc in drinking water...

A year's course of Multivitimans... Gawd only knows what they'll be eating!!!...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭broin

A head torch is a very good one. LED so it's more or less unbreakable.

And a compass. Makes maps even more useful. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

A silk (not cotton!) sleeping bag liner! Small, extremely light, washes and dries in about 10 mins, protects against bedbugs and mozzies and keeps you cool in the heat and warm in the cold!!

Worth every penny and a great little luxurious present! You can get them for about 40 euro ... it was the best thing I brought on my trip!

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭appleb

Not particularly religious myself but my friend bought me a gold St Christopher medal when I was heading traveling. I was surprised at how touched I was by it!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Potatofarl

Thanks so much for all the ideas! Haven't done longterm travelling so not in the know of what comes in handy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Satts

How about a handheld GPS navigator ?

http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/r/gps

Advertisement