Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stressed out over Job

Options
  • 05-07-2010 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

I don't know if I can post this here but am looking for advice. I started working in a job just short of 3 months and I know I'm lucky to get a job but I am not able to cope !! and want out , it's so bad that it's affecting every thing I do.
    My question is if I leave is it true that I will be unable to claim social welfare.
    Please don't judge me ! I do realise how lucky I am to find a job but I have to get out I cannot take the constant pressure .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭Gannicus

No judgement here man some jobs just get to you. I'd really try and get a new job before leaving. you should be able to claim but afaik you have to wait 6 weks before you qualify if you quit the job. i could be mistaken now

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

thats true, you wont qualify if you leave....you could always explain the situation to them and ask them to say they had to let you go.....otherwise, (as awful as this sounds) just do some big f*ck up that will make them fire you..... theres no point being ina job that makes you miserable - no money is worth that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

Hi
    If you leave a job voluntarily you can be disqualified from claiming the dole for up to 9 weeks.

People on this board are often quick to say "if you hate the job just leave it" (I'm not criticising anyone in particular) but my advice would be to try and line up another job first. New employers will always ask you the reason you left the job and you will have a lot more confidence if you can say you left for career progression rather than "I just hated every minute!"

I find some exercise in the evening is great for dealing with stress. After exercising you will feel relaxed and won't have time to dread going to work the next day.

I imagine meeting with a counsellor or lifestyle coach would also be a good way to talk through any insecurities you may have.
    Another option is to ask for a different position from your current employer, one that involves a less stressful role.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭AngryBadger

OP ideally you should try to find another job before leaving this one, other than that you'd have to be let go or made redundant in order to be able to apply for social welfare immediately.

Might I ask what it is about the job that's causing you so much stress? Is there some specific element of this job which is getting to you?

As tenchi-fan has suggested, you might look into ways of dealing with your stress before you decide to leave your job.

Having said that I do understand that sometimes the stress can just be too much.

Advertisement