Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cao offers

Options
  • 05-07-2010 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

start on wed round a. good luck to all applicants

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

How are the offers made?
    By post or email??

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭tonybhoy72

go on to your application online at the cao, any offers will be there, also by post sent out today

WooooHooooo!
    I anxiously logged into my CAO account this morning - and I'm delighted to find that I've got an offer of my 1st choice - LY708 Applied Computing! :D

It's only offers for Mature Students that are out today, so I won't go on about it too much, but .......

........ WOOOOOOHOOOOOOOO! :D:D:D

didnt get anything:mad:

tonybhoy72 wrote: »
    didnt get anything:mad:

... yet!

It's only the first round, for mature students.
    I spoke with a few mature applicants, from last year, and a good few didn't get offers until round 2, and even a few who only got places in round 3!

There are only a set amount of places allocated for mature applicants, anywhere from 2 to 10, on each course. Some courses are over-applied, so you could be out of luck for those. However, a lot of mature applicants tend to apply for a large number of courses, (perhaps hedging their bets!), but can only accept one. So, all is not over yet!

I have to accept my offer by 14th July, one week; and shortly afterwards the next round will start - best of luck for that!

What did you apply for btw?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

congrats mrmac! and welcome to lyit! :)

tonybhoy72, as mrmac said its only the first round. a lot of people get their places in round 2.

Cheers RMC. Excited and anxious at the same time, as it's not easy for someone in their 40s to go back to college! I got made redundant last October, and over Christmas decided to apply to the CAO in case the employment situation hadn't improved. Still no sign of any jobs about, so I'm glad to get the chance of going back to college. Just have to figure out the BTEA & Student Services Fees applications.

Again, to any mature student who didn't get an offer today - don't panic.
    I'm very sure a lot of mature folks applied for courses, just like I did, back in January, who may have gotten jobs by now. I know it's disappointing not to see an offer today, (I was dreading logging in), but until the third round of offers goes out, the door is still open.

According to the CAO, the schedule for offers is like this:
    Offer Round Dates and Reply Dates

Early Round: Offer Date: 7th July, 2010 from 06:00
    Reply Date: 14th July, 2010 by 17:15

In early July a small number of offers of places may be issued to applicants such as:
    those who need to make visa or other arrangements before taking a place;
    deferred applicants;
    mature nursing/midwifery code applicants.

Round Zero: Offer Date: 5th August, 2010 from 06:00
    Reply Date: 11th August, 2010 by 17:15

In early August there may be a small number of offers of places which go to certain categories of applicant who are not awaiting current year examination results or who are assessed on other criteria, e.g. mature applicants.

Round One: Offer Date: 23rd August, 2010 from 06:00
    Reply Date: 30th August, 2010 by 17:15

Issue of main body of offers take place after Irish Leaving Certificate Examination results become available.

Round Two: Offer Date: 2nd September, 2010 from 06:00
    Reply Date: 8th September, 2010 by 17:15

A second round of offers will be issued to fill any remaining vacancies.

After Round Two:
    Offers will be issued as necessary until October to fill any vacancies which may arise.

So that 4 rounds of offers in total, at least! :D

mrmac wrote: »
    Cheers RMC. Excited and anxious at the same time, as it's not easy for someone in their 40s to go back to college! I got made redundant last October, and over Christmas decided to apply to the CAO in case the employment situation hadn't improved. Still no sign of any jobs about, so I'm glad to get the chance of going back to college. Just have to figure out the BTEA & Student Services Fees applications.

Again, to any mature student who didn't get an offer today - don't panic.
    I'm very sure a lot of mature folks applied for courses, just like I did, back in January, who may have gotten jobs by now. I know it's disappointing not to see an offer today, (I was dreading logging in), but until the third round of offers goes out, the door is still open.

According to the CAO, the schedule for offers is like this:

So that 4 rounds of offers in total, at least! :D
    thanks for your encouragement, I know all about the offer process, just don't agree with the lottery system for entry this year, and youve got MY place in applied computing!:)

oh and mrmac........well done ,hope to meet, face to face in sept:D

....don't agree with the lottery system for entry this year,

Yeah, it seems like names in a hat!

.... and youve got MY place in applied computing!:)

Jeez, grief from a total stranger - lol!
    I hope you get a place, so I can nag you about this over a pint! :cool:

• Advertisement

Yeah, it seems like names in a hat!

Jeez, grief from a total stranger - lol!
    I hope you get a place, so I can nag you about this over a pint! :cool:
    sounds good... a scotsman going for a pint or twenty!! lol!!!!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭cmf86

I got accepted for General nursing today! was so happy, It was my first choice! was up at 6am to check! Will be starting LYIT in september, can not wait!!

So excited!

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭loca1

Well done to everyone who has offers so far and no doubt anyone waiting will get offers at a later date. I have one year completed on lyit and althought totally nerve wrecking and tough going at times I miss it now. Can't wait to get stuck into study mode again. It is a difficult year for mature applicants applying with the grant situation I could not afford childcare without it. Good luck with the studies guys lyit is a nice place to be.

all you got to do now is find somewhere to live, relocate to letterkenny, and go through registration.....

Before even getting that far - depending on circumastance, need to apply for BTEA from SW and/or Maintenance Grant and/or Registration Fee grant from VEC.

:)

Can i advise you to go for the BTEA route rather than the grant scheme.

The BTEA has some real benefits if your entitled to it.

Just some of the advantages of going with the back to education allowance over the grant.

- assistance with paying the registration fee's for college.
    - its paid weekly rather than monthly.
    - possible to apply for the medical card.
    - possible to apply for rent allowance.
    - JSA during the summer months.
    - €500 start up book allowance paid a month after you start in college.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭markmcg

WooooHooooo!
    I anxiously logged into my CAO account this morning - and I'm delighted to find that I've got an offer of my 1st choice - LY708 Applied Computing! :D

It's only offers for Mature Students that are out today, so I won't go on about it too much, but .......

........ WOOOOOOHOOOOOOOO! :D:D:D

I just finished that course there. good course you'll learn a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

markmcg wrote: »
    I just finished that course there. good course you'll learn a lot.

I'm just heading into 4th year of the course - is 4th much tougher than the other years?

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭markmcg

TPD wrote: »
    I'm just heading into 4th year of the course - is 4th much tougher than the other years?

Yeah it is a bit tougher because of the project. you have to put in a lot of hours.

Advertisement