Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

why should i get a desire?

Options
  • 05-07-2010 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭

i have the x10 mini, love the size of it, but my wife is due a upgrade so i thought i get the desire and she takes my phone.
    so with the upgrade and giving an iphone as trade desire will cost 40€ :D
    but why is the desire better choice than the x10 mini?

convince me :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

I'd look at the Samsung Galaxy S too, if I was buying now that would be the first phone I'd check out.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

JustinOval wrote: »
    I'd look at the Samsung Galaxy S too, if I was buying now that would be the first phone I'd check out.
    The Samsung Galaxy S only has two real improvements over the Desire. A better GPU and a Super AMOLED screen. No camera flash, no Sense UI and Samsung's support for their phones is pretty bare for the likes of ROM development.

In any case, put it this way...

If Android was Mercedes then an X10 Mini would be a C-Class. It has the badge, has the general features of a Mercedes but it just isn't the "full package". The Desire would be a S-Class, the flagship of the entire marque. The full feature set, all that Mercedes (Or Android) has to offer.

Then i'd class the Samsung Galaxy S as being the SLR, brilliantly powerful but lacking some of the things we take for granted like A/C and being common enough to find support.

I'd give you a proper convincing but i'll leave that for tommorrow :D

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭OI

Just on the above pamg. I personally don't see Sense as an advantage of the desire. In fact I use launcher pro on my uprooted desire and find I can get the appearance I want. This is free in the market place and has some sense like features without the widgets unfortunately but also a fully customizable dock. I really don't like the sense dock.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

The Samsung Galaxy S only has two real improvements over the Desire. A better GPU and a Super AMOLED screen. No camera flash, no Sense UI and Samsung's support for their phones is pretty bare for the likes of ROM development.

In any case, put it this way...

If Android was Mercedes then an X10 Mini would be a C-Class. It has the badge, has the general features of a Mercedes but it just isn't the "full package". The Desire would be a S-Class, the flagship of the entire marque. The full feature set, all that Mercedes (Or Android) has to offer.

Then i'd class the Samsung Galaxy S as being the SLR, brilliantly powerful but lacking some of the things we take for granted like A/C and being common enough to find support.

I'd give you a proper convincing but i'll leave that for tommorrow :D

I'm feeling a bit let-down by the HTC camera, it is very poor when compared to even a Tocco Ultra.. I'd sacrifice Sense for a better camera...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Celestial Deity

I held a Desire in CPW the other day. I was quite surprised by its sexiness and the high level level of build quality.

In contrast, the Galaxy S I held felt cheap and tacky, and somewhat unattractive. It was like a big Tocco Lite in terms of looks. Granted, the big screen was nice and it was pretty slim, but it didn't feel like a high-end Android smartphone to me.

The Desire is the definition of high build quality.

• Advertisement

My analogy still stands, the Samsung galaxy s is a purpose built race car, high powered but lacks support and some of the basics. The desire is the all round luxury flagship.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

The better GPU in the Galaxy Chipset really makes a diff for 3D grunt and HD Video playback, this clip shows that quite clearly.

If I had to guesstimate i'd put the Desire at 12ish fps and the Galaxy at 30ish fps.

Galaxy S can even play Quake 3!

Inquitus wrote: »
    The better GPU in the Galaxy Chipset really makes a diff for 3D grunt and HD Video playback, this clip shows that quite clearly.

If I had to guesstimate i'd put the Desire at 12ish fps and the Galaxy at 30ish fps.

Galaxy S can even play Quake 3!

The Desire has not yet been updated to 720p the galaxy s has. Once 720p support is finalized then you can compare FPS. I've been playing Quake 3 on my Desire since April;) 720p playback on the Desire is at 30FPS stable on x 264.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Perrin2040

@PAMG, (or anyone lese who may know)
    Hi, Iv ordered a HTC desire and am expecting it tomorrow (Literally cant wait). I was just wondering if i could ask you three quick questions.
    (1) where did you find quake for it?
    (2) is USB OTG supported out of the box or does it need a custom rom?
    (3) is it worth rooting my phone? I like the idea of HTC sense, and i dont want to lose that, but from the (very little) i understand rooting doesnt actually remove sense, and custom roms are available with sense on them, am i even close with this? Sorry for the questions, but looking through some posts you seem like the king of the Desire crowd.

Perrin2040 wrote: »
    @PAMG, (or anyone lese who may know)
    Hi, Iv ordered a HTC desire and am expecting it tomorrow (Literally cant wait). I was just wondering if i could ask you three quick questions.
    (1) where did you find quake for it?
    (2) is USB OTG supported out of the box or does it need a custom rom?
    (3) is it worth rooting my phone? I like the idea of HTC sense, and i dont want to lose that, but from the (very little) i understand rooting doesnt actually remove sense, and custom roms are available with sense on them, am i even close with this? Sorry for the questions, but looking through some posts you seem like the king of the Desire crowd.
    1. It's an app called Kwaak3, you just install it and you put the Quake 3 game files in a folder on your SDCard.

2. Not supported out of the box but i'd say that HTC would be willing to release it sometime in the future to get an advantage over other phones. You need a special USB OTG cable which converts the micro usb to a regular USB port and you need to use a custom kernel, not strictly a custom ROM.

3. Definitley. You can get so much more features out of custom ROMs and you get the newest updates to Android far faster than you would otherwise. Rooting only gives you root access to your phone (Administrator). It also allows you to flash a different ROM (Operating System) on your phone. Some custom ROMs have Sense and some don't. As a general rule most Desire ROMs aim to have Sense UI but there are always some available without Sense UI.

For the time being Android 2.2 ROMs are all without Sense UI but either tomorrow or the day after there will be a release of a leaked version of Android 2.2 with Sense and 720p. This isn't a final version out of HTC but think of it as a well made beta.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 Perrin2040

1. It's an app called Kwaak3, you just install it and you put the Quake 3 game files in a folder on your SDCard.

2. Not supported out of the box but i'd say that HTC would be willing to release it sometime in the future to get an advantage over other phones. You need a special USB OTG cable which converts the micro usb to a regular USB port and you need to use a custom kernel, not strictly a custom ROM.

3. Definitley. You can get so much more features out of custom ROMs and you get the newest updates to Android far faster than you would otherwise. Rooting only gives you root access to your phone (Administrator). It also allows you to flash a different ROM (Operating System) on your phone. Some custom ROMs have Sense and some don't. As a general rule most Desire ROMs aim to have Sense UI but there are always some available without Sense UI.

For the time being Android 2.2 ROMs are all without Sense UI but either tomorrow or the day after there will be a release of a leaked version of Android 2.2 with Sense and 720p. This isn't a final version out of HTC but think of it as a well made beta.

Thanks really helpful answer, i may give rooting a try so.
    Also realised i probably should have posted this in a more appropriate forum, so to any moderators out there -sorry! Im a bit of a newb when it comes to boards and android. :o

The Desire has not yet been updated to 720p the galaxy s has. Once 720p support is finalized then you can compare FPS. I've been playing Quake 3 on my Desire since April;) 720p playback on the Desire is at 30FPS stable on x 264.
    Just had a look at the video on top. By the look of it that's a Quake II timedemo. That specific game has issues with the Nexus One and the Desire so you can't judge based on that.

For example I play Quake III Arena on my Desire and at a guessestimate i'd say that it doesn't drop below 30FPS.

Pointless really, the Galaxy S will never be as popular as the Nexus One/Desire. The vast majority of 3D games / ports are designed to work on the Nexus One / Desire. That extra power in the Galaxy S will for all intents and purposes go to waste unless by some crazy twist of fate in which it becomes the "Google Phone" as is the Nexus One.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭BigAl81

Hey,

I spent a bonkers money (for a phone) to get the Desire when it came out first. If I lost it I'd pay it again and get another one tomorrow. It's that good. Just get one, you wont regret it ;o)

Go Team!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Just had a look at the video on top. By the look of it that's a Quake II timedemo. That specific game has issues with the Nexus One and the Desire so you can't judge based on that.

For example I play Quake III Arena on my Desire and at a guessestimate i'd say that it doesn't drop below 30FPS.

Pointless really, the Galaxy S will never be as popular as the Nexus One/Desire. The vast majority of 3D games / ports are designed to work on the Nexus One / Desire. That extra power in the Galaxy S will for all intents and purposes go to waste unless by some crazy twist of fate in which it becomes the "Google Phone" as is the Nexus One.

Isn't the desire locked to 30fps? As for the extra power going to waste I entirely disagree, desire/nexus one aren't the be all and end all on the Android platform, properly coded apps scale and will take advantage of what's available. It's the beauty of Android, it isn't just a single hardware solution. Besides, sales of the galaxy s have left the nexus one in the dust.

JustinOval wrote: »
    I'm feeling a bit let-down by the HTC camera, it is very poor when compared to even a Tocco Ultra.. I'd sacrifice Sense for a better camera...

Rumour has it, the galaxy s has the iphone 4's backlit camera module.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭OI

It has to be said, the screen on the Samsung looks pretty awesome

OI wrote: »
    It has to be said, the screen on the Samsung looks pretty awesome

Ya, it's very impressive. Not a fan of their android skin though and the phone itself is kinda ugly. Still think the HD2 is HTC's best looking and feeling hardware.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

BigAl81 wrote: »
    Hey,

I spent a bonkers money (for a phone) to get the Desire when it came out first. If I lost it I'd pay it again and get another one tomorrow. It's that good. Just get one, you wont regret it ;o)

Go Team!

+1

The Desire really is the best phone Iv ever had.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭ldr

ok, so i got the desire, first impressions, brilliant.
    should i root the phone before i install my apps or after?
    how can i turn off 3g
    thank you for all the info

Before you install anything imo. If you want to turn off 3g just push the power button and then turn off connect to internet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭ldr

thanks. its to be many different roms, witch one will it be the best?
    will rooting the phone remove the o2 crap things installed on it? and does that mean the phone is sim free?

Advertisement