Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rooting = user:root?

Options
  • 05-07-2010 6:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭

Quick question; is rooting a device the same as being the root user as in Linux. And if so, is this a big security issue giving programs full control over your phone.

Thanks,
    Karl
    getting my desire soon and already thinking of hacking. :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

KAGY wrote: »
    Quick question; is rooting a device the same as being the root user as in Linux. And if so, is this a big security issue giving programs full control over your phone.

Thanks,
    Karl
    getting my desire soon and already thinking of hacking. :D

Yes it is the same. Rooting however installs Superuser and this gives a prompt to approve when any apps request root permissions.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

The very same. It doesn't give every app universal root access because that would be pretty dangerous. You get asked whenever an app requests root.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭KAGY

Thanks for your replies, didn't think Android had multi user support and thought that this extended to system users too.
    Still think that by being popular and by being pushed by a big company like Google it's going to attract virii writers. I know linux is generally secure but for a newb who has followed instructions to root then ...
    "You want to install naked babe game"
    Y
    "Enter su password"
    Phone = brick

Advertisement