Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you think

Options
  • 05-07-2010 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm thinking of returning to college to train as a counsellor, would have to do it on a part-time basis. However I have already changed careers, went back to college about three years to do a two year account course and I've been working in that for the past three years.

I do like what I'm doing at the moment but I'm not particularly interested in any further education in this area.

I'm turning 34 this year (I know it's not old, but still ) and was just wondering what peoples opinions are on changing careers again. Do you think it looks bad that I keep changing careers or is it a good thing that I will have variety under my belt??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭AngryBadger

If you don't have any responsibilities like a family, or a mortgage or anything similar then I'd say do what makes you happy.

Having said that, I would have to ask why you're jumping from career to career? It often takes people years to find out what they want to do with their lives, but if this is your third career I'd have to ask are you really giving anything a proper chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hiya,

I was in my first career for nine years, think I gave that a fair go and I did like, lots of interaction with people. Just began to hate it because of the boss I had.
    This job is less so and I find myself really bored every day and have a serious lack of motivation when it comes to it which is unlike me, especially after such a short time.

I think I have also grown to dislike the mundane 9-5 office type job. I don't get any job satisfaction, it's the same thing day in day out with the same people, it's become soul distroying and frustrating.

Even typing this I see how much I dislike what I'm doing, I'm starting to feel trapped, think it's time to start heading for the door (not literally), need to stay where I am to have the funds to pay for college.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭shebango

Hi OP. This is what life is all about really. Trying new things and finding out what makes you happy.

Education will never go to waste so why not skill yourself up with loads of stuff so you can have various careers open to you?

If you want to change your career, even if it is for the 3rd time or whatever - then so what? Again, this is your life! If you're doing what makes you happy, then who cares what other people think.

If you are truly passionate about counselling or anything else that takes your fancy, then you will be really good at your job. Passion is all you need. The rest follows.

You need to trust yourself more on this. If you envisage yourself not going for this and feeling regret down the line - then you need to do it.

I commend you for having the courage to make the change again. You are living your life and you're not afraid to try. So good for you. The very best of luck.:) xx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭AngryBadger

I can't see any reason for you not to go back and re-train then OP. It sounds like you really don't like your current job, no reason not to try something else.

It is your life after all :D

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

It's just quite scary starting into something that I have no experience in. At least when I went back to college three years ago I had business and accounting knowledge from school and college.

This is a totally new area, something I've thought about at diiferent times over the years but just never had the confidence to do. Also after looking into some what it will take about four years to qualify which would mean I'd be 37/38. I suppose it's not that old to start again but the thoughts of it are daunting.

I've decided to do a 10 week introductory course which will give me and instight into it and then I can decide if it is something I really want to put the time in to. As shebango says education will never go to waste!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement