Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work woes

Options
  • 05-07-2010 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Quick question I was hoping you could help me with. I am working full-time (in sales) and also studying for a professional qualification (takes up about 20 hours a week). While this is fine in theory, it's a hard slog. I work in a small company and am thinking of asking my boss can I work a four day week and have my pay amended accordingly. I really want these exams. I do not however want to tell her that I am doing this course as it is completely unrelated to my industry and I am hoping to completely change career in 12-18 months time. Can the nice people in PI recommend what excuse I can use to ask for the 4-day week in the first place? I know if I told the truth she wouldn't have any of it, and why would she when I'm planning to change career, it wouldn't benefit her or the company by me doing these exams. Any thoughts would be very much welcomed!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Workwoes wrote: »
    Quick question I was hoping you could help me with. I am working full-time (in sales) and also studying for a professional qualification (takes up about 20 hours a week). While this is fine in theory, it's a hard slog. I work in a small company and am thinking of asking my boss can I work a four day week and have my pay amended accordingly. I really want these exams. I do not however want to tell her that I am doing this course as it is completely unrelated to my industry and I am hoping to completely change career in 12-18 months time. Can the nice people in PI recommend what excuse I can use to ask for the 4-day week in the first place? I know if I told the truth she wouldn't have any of it, and why would she when I'm planning to change career, it wouldn't benefit her or the company by me doing these exams. Any thoughts would be very much welcomed!

I know the feeling - working full time and studying for a professional qualification. It's not easy.

I'd start off just asking her if there was any chance you could work a four day week and take a 20% paycut. Many companies would jump at that opportunity. If thay really want to know tell them. If you're job is permanent and they say no there is nothing else they can do. Once yout studying doesn't interfere with you work then you have nothing to worry about. Most good managers would be very supportive of any staff members pushing themselves to acheive a professional qualification regardless of whether it is industry related. That's the type of motivation you want in your staff.

My two cents anyway! Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

just say it's for personal reasons. You're not really lying, your study& exams are personal to you. If asked to expound/explain further, politely say "I'd prefer not to discuss it really, if you don't mind?". You're only making a query, can you alter your working hours, it's none of their business what you get up to in your spare time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

If you have kids, there is your excuse straight away!

If you don't, you could talk about the work-life balance. Personally, I would come clean , say "I am studying for a professional qualification. It's something I have always been interested in, although i have no immediate plans to leave this company."

If the qualification is accounting you can easily put a slant on it by saying "acca/cima is a good qualification for management e.g. regional sales manager" etc etc. You might be able to tie it in to something that will benefit the company, even if completely unrelated to your current role.

A girl I work with currently works in the customer complaints team, and she is studying for accounting exams. Another girl changed to part-time hours so she could do a teaching course in the evening.

Advertisement