Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Must you be in 1st year to apply for a grant?

Options
  • 05-07-2010 2:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭

Going into second year (i'm 19) of a 5 year course this year, didn't apply for a maintenance grant last year as i had enough money saved up to survive for the year but this year due to my families financial situation i'm in need of a grant.

So basically, is it possible to apply for a grant for the first time in your second year in college?

EDIT: My question arises from this paragraph on citizensinformation.ie:
    Maintenance Grants Scheme for Students attending Post-Leaving Certificate Courses

The Maintenance Grants Scheme for Students attending Post-Leaving Certificate Courses is open to candidates who are entering approved Post Leaving Certificate courses for the first time in the academic year in question. The eligibility conditions are generally the same as those for the Higher Education Grants Scheme.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

So basically, is it possible to apply for a grant for the first time in your second year in college?

Yes. The paragraph you highlighted is getting at the fact that you cannot get a grant if you are repeating a year.

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

I'm not repeating a year, i'm going from 1st into 2nd year.

If i cannot apply for a maitenance grant are there any other grants i am entitled to?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

I was saying that IF you were repeating you wouldn't be able to get a grant.

There is no problem with applying for a maintenance grant for the first time in second/third/whatever year.

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Ah, good stuff! Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 KittyPot

Im in the same situation, and i was just wondering if there is a different form to fill out than the one used by people going into first year?
    The whole thing has me very confused! :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Roro4Brit

KittyPot wrote: »
    Im in the same situation, and i was just wondering if there is a different form to fill out than the one used by people going into first year?
    The whole thing has me very confused! :(

No it makes no difference, just fill out the exact same form as everybody else. You can get the form from your local CoCo office.

You will need a lot of documentation such as P60's and P21's from parents. Get on the case now as these can take some weeks to get. There is always a checklist at the back of every application form for the documents you need.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 KittyPot

Thank you very much!!! :)

Advertisement