Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

A bit of help please!

• 05-07-2010 12:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭

I've got a few questions. I thought I would put them on the one thread, so hope you don't mind! :)

I've got a small wooden wishing well, the sort you keep indoors and put little plants in. The original plants died, so I bought a maidenhair fern at the weekend to put in it. How should I line the well so that I can actually plant in the fern, rather than just keep it in the pot, and then in the well. Will plastic do the job?

I also have a yucca. Due to the very bad winter we had, most of the tree's leaves have gone brown, and I think it's died off. But the top's still nice and green, and in fact has new growth. It's just the rest that seems to have died off. How can I recover it?

We're also trying to recover our lawn which has gone a bit patchy partly due to the bad winter and our dog doing what comes naturally! ;). My husband's cordoned off the lawn, put feed and seed down, watered it every night if it doesn't rain, but it doesn't seem to be coming along...What else can we do?

Lastly - My japonica is being eaten alive by something! I've put down slug pellets and sprayed Bug Away, but it still seems to be a magnet for something!! What could it be?

Thanks very much if you've got this far! We're not very good gardeners, but we like to try. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Bump! Anyone able to help?

Thanks! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

I've got a few questions. I thought I would put them on the one thread, so hope you don't mind! :)

I've got a small wooden wishing well, the sort you keep indoors and put little plants in. The original plants died, so I bought a maidenhair fern at the weekend to put in it. How should I line the well so that I can actually plant in the fern, rather than just keep it in the pot, and then in the well. Will plastic do the job?

I also have a yucca. Due to the very bad winter we had, most of the tree's leaves have gone brown, and I think it's died off. But the top's still nice and green, and in fact has new growth. It's just the rest that seems to have died off. How can I recover it?

We're also trying to recover our lawn which has gone a bit patchy partly due to the bad winter and our dog doing what comes naturally! ;). My husband's cordoned off the lawn, put feed and seed down, watered it every night if it doesn't rain, but it doesn't seem to be coming along...What else can we do?

Lastly - My japonica is being eaten alive by something! I've put down slug pellets and sprayed Bug Away, but it still seems to be a magnet for something!! What could it be?

Thanks very much if you've got this far! We're not very good gardeners, but we like to try. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. :)
    liquid feed the lawn, it absorbs better through the foilage and the grass will be fine and green in about 6 days, this is what i did to my brown worn out lawn, also this ucca tree put miracle grow on it in the evening after sun goes down( get one of those pump spray cans you can get at a hardware store for about 5 euro, put in a dessert spoon of the miracle grow granules, fill the sprayer with water, shake, then get spraying everywhere, as everything suffered the winter gone by, so your plants need the boost to survive this winter if it come bad, they will be strong enough to fight another day, do this spraying once a week and you will be okay, but make shure you spray on the ucca leaves as well as anything else that look sick or even a little sick in your garden

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

also do not trow away your grass cuttings, these are great around the the plant, they keep down the weed, they keep it moist in dry weather, they protect from frost for the winter while breaking down and they will be rotted and act as fertaliser in about 4 months, this miracle grow you can get a fine box for about 8 euro, follow instructions, but for larger plants up the ante to a bit bigger dose, and spray the plants well when it is turning light after the sun goes down, the sun would dry it up too soon, so all good would be gone, where as through the night it will stay damp and sink in
    good luck
    as for the plant that is being eaten, give it a good hose of water a strong spray, maybe there are larvae or eggs on there, an old wash like that every second evening may do trick, sounds like earwigs, is it dry around it where these critters can live, wet it will a bit often and they will not want it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Ah - that's fantastic!! Thanks very much for your help Goat2 - we're off to Tesco's later to get some more Miracle-Gro. I already use it on my plants and it's good stuff, so I'll just step up the feeding routine on the yucca...

Thanks once again! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,041 ✭✭✭✭looksee

You could line the wishing well with plastic, but if you put the fern straight into it it will have no drainage, and if you make a hole in the plastic/wood it will rot the wood. I would put a saucer in the bottom of the wishing well and put the plant in in its pot so you can water it safely.

• Advertisement
Advertisement