Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bring battery back to life?

Options
  • 05-07-2010 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭

I bought a Canon 400D a couple of years ago and the package included a spare battery. This battery has never held charge and when left to fully charge it never goes above 2 bars. The main battery (Canon NB 2LH 7.4V 720mAh Li ion) is excellent! The second battery is a BP 2lchcl-c 7.4V 1500mAh. I bought a new charger after loosing the origional and it was compatable with both batteries. Do any of you know is there any way of revitalising the batery before I go and purchase a new one?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭dave66

It may not be possible, based on this:

http://www.batteryuniversity.com/parttwo-34.htm

It might be worth trying a few full discharge/charge cycles.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Slightly Bunkers

Cheers! I think I read somewhere that freezing the battery sometimes works but was looking for confirmation before trying this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭dave66

The risk with freezing is that when you take out of the freezer you can get condensation forming, which is water, which is clearly not good in an electrical circuit ;) I'm not at all convinced that freezing works, you could cool it in the fridge for a short time, but there is still a risk of condensation. If it was me, I do the empty/charge cycle a few times and if that does work, order a new battery.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,710 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

dave66 wrote: »
    The risk with freezing is that when you take out of the freezer you can get condensation forming, which is water, which is clearly not good in an electrical circuit
    usually avoided by placing the item in a sealed evacuated bag for both freeze and thaw.

Advertisement