Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free Jazz? I paid 100 bucks to listen to this ****e!

Options
  • 05-07-2010 12:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

Or post Metal Machine Music Misery in Montreal! :p

Lou Reed John Zorn and Laurie Anderson have been testing the publics patience with some "free jazz" vibes and by most acounts it wasn't very
    promo_louis.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭Rigsby

You are obviously unfamiliar with John Zorn, or you would have had an idea of what to expect. Maybe Reed fans might have been a bit surprised, but surely they were not expecting material like "Walk on the wild side" at a jazz festival... especially the Montreal one. :D Also, real Reed fans would have been up to date on what he was doing these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Well some clearly weren't! :pac:

mike65 wrote: »
    Well some clearly weren't! :pac:

They are now ! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭postdarwin

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Companero

As far as I remember, Lou Reed only released Metal Machine Music to fill the end of his recording contract with his then record label. It was a piss-take at the time, and he must surely be laughing up his sleeve revamping it.

He knew well, in time honoured style that you can get away with any old ****e as long as you make it blank and meaningless enough, people will fall over themselves to praise it to show how high-status they are. Like free jazz in general.

• Advertisement

Companero wrote: »
    As far as I remember, Lou Reed only released Metal Machine Music to fill the end of his recording contract with his then record label. It was a piss-take at the time, and he must surely be laughing up his sleeve revamping it.

He knew well, in time honoured style that you can get away with any old ****e as long as you make it blank and meaningless enough, people will fall over themselves to praise it to show how high-status they are. Like free jazz in general.

Why, in liking free jazz should a person feel they have high status ? :confused: I have been listening to this genre for the last twenty five years. Granted, it's not every one's cup of tea, but I like it, along with lots of other types of music. I have been to many free jazz festivals throughout Europe. I certainly dont consider myself to have high status, and I did not get this impression from the many people I met and chatted about music with, on my travels. As with all genres, there is good and bad.

If it does not appeal to you, that is fair enough, but sweeping generalisations like yours are unnecessary. :)

Advertisement