Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

camper weight and driving licence issue?

Options
  • 05-07-2010 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi

I have spotted a campervan I really want but from talking to the seller it's taxed as either 4 or 3.9 tonnes.

I have a category B licence which says I can only drive up to 3.5 tonnes. Is this just a non runner or is there any special exemption for campers?

Fingers crossed

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

It sounds as if he has it taxed commercially ~ why?

A camper should be a private vehicle and it's weight is gross unladen weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 qwertyphobia1

Thanks for the answer. Yes it seams to be taxed as a comericial from what the seller says.

But is there any point in me sorting the tax out to a camper? Is the weight still a deal breaker?

I would be traveling around europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

But is there any point in me sorting the tax out to a camper? Is the weight still a deal breaker?

I'm afraid it is. If your licence says 3.5 tonnes, then that's that ...no matter what it is or what it is taxed under

• Registered Users Posts: 25 qwertyphobia1

Thanks for that.

Back to square one so.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭T650

Hi

I have spotted a campervan I really want but from talking to the seller it's taxed as either 4 or 3.9 tonnes.

I have a category B licence which says I can only drive up to 3.5 tonnes. Is this just a non runner or is there any special exemption for campers?

Fingers crossed

Same for myself regarding a motorhome I have on my eye on. Have the B licence and am determined to get the C so I can put myself in the frame for this particular model I want.

Can I ask those who have gone for the C lately what the sequence of events is please ?

I am assuming eye test for provisional.

Theory test - is there a difference in the theory test between going for B or C ?

How much roughly should I expect to pay for lessons and does anyone have instructors they can recommend ?

Thanks in advance for your assistance :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,347 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I'm not sure on the sequence for the tests, but I think you have to hold the provisional/ learner permit for at least 6 months before taking the actual driving test now, so you might want to get the ball rolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭corkbuoy

You need the eye test to get the provisional. Last year lessons were 130 euros per 2 hour lesson with O'Learys in Cork. Two hour lessons seem to be the norm for trucks.
    There was no waiting time before applying for the test, just the queue time which was about 12 weeks I think. I did 5 or 6 lessons, the last one was an hour before the test and you then use the school truck for the test itself. I found O'Learys very good and I passed first time no problem.

How long have you a licence, if its before 1990 ( I think) you should also have C1 included. It may not be shown on the licence but check with your licencing authority. I only discovered this after I did the C test, I need not have done it all !

corkbuoy wrote: »
    You need the eye test to get the provisional. Last year lessons were 130 euros per 2 hour lesson with O'Learys in Cork. Two hour lessons seem to be the norm for trucks.
    There was no waiting time before applying for the test, just the queue time which was about 12 weeks I think. I did 5 or 6 lessons, the last one was an hour before the test and you then use the school truck for the test itself. I found O'Learys very good and I passed first time no problem.

How long have you a licence, if its before 1990 ( I think) you should also have C1 included. It may not be shown on the licence but check with your licencing authority. I only discovered this after I did the C test, I need not have done it all !

Thanks for the ressponse :

Have licence since mid 90s.

Do I have to do a thoery test before I can get the provisional ?

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭corkbuoy

T650

Yes you must do the theory test first and it different to the car test, some truck specific stuff in it.

corkbuoy wrote: »
    T650

Yes you must do the theory test first and it different to the car test, some truck specific stuff in it.

Great stuff thanks !

• Advertisement
Advertisement