Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alcohol problem?

Options
  • 05-07-2010 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I'm really worried that I have an alcohol problem. I'm a 25 year old woman and I actually drank very little up until a few years ago. Through college, I only drank when I went out and could go weeks and weeks without a drop of alcohol passing my lips. In my final year I met my boyfriend and started drinking much more regularly, as we'd have a bottle of wine with meals we cooked at home (once a week) and we'd often meet for a couple of cans after lectures. After graduating, I started drinking a little more but I never felt that I was a heavy drinker until I met my current boyfriend. He drinks loads and I quickly found myself drinking loads as well because it was so easy. We met doing a CELTA course which was stressful and we'd often go to the pub afterwards, and sitting talking for hours, get through 4 or 5 pints. He went to work abroad for 6 months and I visited him for 4 weeks in which we basically ended up drinking every single night - a bottle of wine which was often followed by a few more drinks, or 4-5 bottles of beer. Now he's moved back home, it's calmed down a bit but I'd still on average have 3 drinks (glass of wine/bottle of beer/pint) a few times a week and sitting at home watching a movie, we'd have several drinks. It almost feels like we don't do much together that doesn't involve drinking. I felt like I was drinking a bit much but it wasn't until the doctor said 9 drinks a week was a lot (this in reality would be the minimum I'd drink) that I really thought about it. I rarely binge drink or get drunk so I guess I thought it was fine. How can I get out of the rut of drinking all the time for the sake of it? If we have dinner and have soft drinks, it feels like something is missing.

Comments

From the sounds of it you're not drinking insane amounts but if you're feeling like something is missing when you don't drink then yeah I would have to say that is a problem:
    It almost feels like we don't do much together that doesn't involve drinking.
    This could be the problem. Do you have a bf or a drinking partner?

Advertisement