Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free Fees Scheme - Can I take a year out and still qualify?

Options
  • 05-07-2010 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭

Hi all. I have recently found out that there may be a problem with my eligibility for the Free Fees Scheme. I am an Irish citizen but the issue is that I have only been in Ireland for the 2 years, which ofcourse means that I don't satisfy the rule that states that I had to have lived in Ireland for the last 3 of the last 5 years. My qualifications for third level are based on a 1 year programme called Access 21 which has given me a HETAC Level 6 minor award certification. I contacted NUI Galway about it, as one of my course choices included them and the person there said that there may be a problem with that and made the suggestion of maybe going to university next year rather than this year to be eligible for the scheme. So, is this really possible or would I have to apply for this year? Thanks.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I don't understand your question(s)

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Leprekaun

My question is it possible to apply for university next year, even though my qualifications were based on those of 2 years ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

To qualify for free fees it is not just Ireland you had to have lived in for the 3 of the past 5 years but it can be any EU state. Hope that helps.

This can become a bit confusing for people as the Maintenance grant requires 3 of the past 5 years in Ireland mandatory.

Advertisement