Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question on Randomness

Options
  • 05-07-2010 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Was having a conversation with a friend last night about random number generators. He says they always have something that the number, or process for getting the number, is based on, for example, in online poker they use the tinest fraction of a second in which the mouse was clicked as a starting point. He claims this cannot be truely random because the program is basing it on something, but if you use tracking software you can see that the more hands you play the closer you get to an even distribution. My question is, in the human brain do we do the same? If I am asked to pick a number between 1 and 1000 and pick 725, did I do something similar to the program? I think it would make an interesting study, get a lot of people to randomly pick numbers and see if you get an even distribution, then see if there is a difference between individual and group results. Does anyone know of such a study?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭cavedave

Humans cannot pick random numbers. 17 is the most random number to humans.

You can make a true random number generator using physical devices. Radiocativity is the canonical example of a ramdom process (As far as we know)
    Any one who considers arithmetical methods of producing random digits is, of course, in a state of sin
    Von Neumann.

There is a fun seven state mind reading machine here based on Shannon's work for anyone who thinks they are random.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

HigsBoson wrote: »
    If I am asked to pick a number between 1 and 1000 and pick 725, did I do something similar to the program? I think it would make an interesting study, get a lot of people to randomly pick numbers and see if you get an even distribution...
    I doubt it - I imagine very few people would choose 1 or 1,000, for example. You'd possibly get a skewed Normal distribution centred around about the 500 mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭HigsBoson

Cheers CaveDave, will read those links tonight, looks very interesting.

djpbarry wrote: »
    I doubt it - I imagine very few people would choose 1 or 1,000, for example. You'd possibly get a skewed Normal distribution centred around about the 500 mark.

Is that only if each person chooses one number? Would it be the same if they had to spend hours on end coming up with numbers?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

HigsBoson wrote: »
    Is that only if each person chooses one number? Would it be the same if they had to spend hours on end coming up with numbers?
    Ah, you mean have a series of individuals acting as random number generators? I imagine in that case there would be a large degree of repetition for each individual - I'd be very surprised if a uniform distribution resulted, but that's purely a hunch.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

cavedave wrote: »
    Humans cannot pick random numbers. 17 is the most random number to humans.
    ask your friends to write down a random number between 1 and 4 odds on they will choose 3 , try it for yourself

have a look at http://random.org if you want some info or a few random numbers

2318.strip.gif

random_number.png

http://www.boallen.com/random-numbers.html
    randbitmap_true.png
    Random.org

randbitmap_computer.png
    old PHP random

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Waking-Dreams

I'm currently reading 'The Drunkard's Walk: How Randomness Rules Our Lives' by Leonard Mlodinow, which is pretty good and relates to the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭HigsBoson

I'm currently reading 'The Drunkard's Walk: How Randomness Rules Our Lives' by Leonard Mlodinow, which is pretty good and relates to the OP.

Had this in my hand in Easons the other day but bought another book, will pick it up at the weekend. Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

cavedave wrote: »
    There is a fun seven state mind reading machine here based on Shannon's work for anyone who thinks they are random.

Got it below 50% a few times, bloody hard though. :pac:

EDIT: If I leave it ages between clicks so I don't know what my last click was I can fairly easily get it below 50%. I'd imagine it would be the same if a few people were taking turns and didn't know the last click since it goes by patterns.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭cavedave

It is only a few state machines. If you think about it you can beat it easily enough. It is just odd that something you can write in less than a dozen lines can do a good job of predicting you.

Advertisement