Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bullying in workplace.

Options
  • 03-07-2010 7:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Can anyone tell any info they might have on bullying and what can i do when I know my boss is trying to make me quit. A few weeks ago I made an error in work and he has really fed off this and accused me of making errors elsewhere when I never saw the proof although he says another staff member brought it to his attention, following this he gave me a verbal, then a written warning when i went of stress leave for 1 week as I couldnt take anymore of him, then i worked the following week as he was on hols so i didnt mind , the week after that i was on hols again and returned back from hols and he wanted another meeting saying I took annual leave without his permission although he made no phone calls to say otherwise until i returned to work and he wanted a further meeting to discuss a possible second written warning, with this i went to my doc to get another med cert as i cant handle the stress of working with such a man, all the while he has new cvs all over his office even though there is no room for a new employee so clearly he is arranging cover for when he pushes me out and had interviews on one of the days I was off on holidays.
    I know this message is very vague but can anyone give me any advise?
    Should i post him a letter while on leave as i dont have a hard documents in reply to his 3 letters he sent me while on sick leave stated my warnings, have been to a solicitor but she says as im only there less than 2 yrs it wouldnt be worth my time finanical to accuse him of bullying etc

:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

how much I feel for you being in this situation, I have no advice for you but just wanted you to know I'm in the same boat as you with my egotistical bully of a boss too.

I had to leave work early last year when I was expecting my first baby as he made my life hell. I was heavily pregnant and he shouted and belittled me every day. I went home in tears every evening.

I'm on maternity leave now until October and I'm dreading going back. I'm searching for new jobs at the minute, I don't care that it's a permanent, public service job I'm giving up, I hate it so much!!

I really hope things work out for you OP, your health is far more important. Have you tried looking elsewhere for something?
    I understand that might feel like he's won but if you're under so much stress because of all this maybe let the assh*le shove his job!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭jurgenscarl

Apart from having him killed there seems like there is nothing else you can do but just resign and get the hell out of that situation.

You don't need to take this BS anymore.

If you stay on it's just going to get worse and worse and worse.

Giving up your job in this recession is going to be tough but by the sounds of it you are literally risking your health and sanity staying on in this job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭Gannicus

Apart from having him killed there seems like there is nothing else you can do but just resign and get the hell out of that situation.

Not a hope. Pack it in me sh**e. fight fire with fire. I had a boss like this. I was 17. first full-time job out of school and boss was a good bit older He thought he could pick on the kid and biggest guy in the place to try and show he was top príomh-madra. I went mad. He was making me miserable because I got on with the owner so well and he thought I'd potential. So one day I said wait a minute I'm bigger, smarter and younger than this clown. I took him to town with contract restrictions and legal premise health and safety regulations. did everything inside the letter of the law to make him as miserable as possible. He'd say lift boxes down to the basement I'd say no I have a weak ankle he's aware of and it was not safe and due to my injury & could not make me undertake such a task or that not paying overtime is illegal and would go home after the 38/40 hour mark and refused to work because he would not compensate me. Now when he went away on hols etc. I was the best employee and buddy to every other member of staff there because they knew what he was at and why I was the way I was. He eventually packed it in citing that he couldn't handle working with me, I was stubborn, lazy, useless, and antagonizing. and seeing as I was completely within my rights to do or not do certain things as the case was he could never sack me. The best part was I unionized the job while all of this was going on so I could have the support of a higher power and never get let go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Unhelpful and off-topic posting will get you banned from this forum.
    Do take time to read the charter which contains the rules and abide by them.
    Have a nice day.
    Thaedydal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭George Orwell 1982

Can you join a trade union? They are really good to defend workers in this situation. Keep a written record of all instances.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

Should i post him a letter while on leave as i dont have a hard documents in reply to his 3 letters he sent me while on sick leave stated my warnings, :(

I have no idea whatsoever what you mean by this. :confused: Can you clarify?

Has your boss sent three separate hard-copy letters within a week while you were on certified sick-leave giving warnings?

I get the meaning of some of your post but the rest is very unclear.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭AngryBadger

OP your post is a tad unclear on several details,
    -The week you took off due to stress, did you get a cert from your GP for this?

-A week after returning to work you were off for another week on holidays, I presume these had been cleared either with this boss, or another manager beforehand?

-I'm fairly certain he can't give you a verbal AND written warning for one offence, also it doesn't make any sense that he would give you any warnings for making a mistake? (i.e. usually warning are doled out for breaches of contract of employment terms like excessively poor punctuality, not turning up for work, pulling sickies, bullying, harassment etc.)

The only course of action in a situation like this is to keep a record of everything that's happened, including any e-mails between ye, and of course these "warnings" he seems to be handing out like confetti, and make a formal complaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

Taking sick leave as "stress" leave i feel is frowned upon in the workplace, there have been many days whereby there are difficult situations in work but you still have to go in. The only leave I have ever taken is when I am so physically sick I cannot go to work. And if hes not being nice to you in the first place, hes not going to be happy with you taking sick leave for stress. Sorry if it sounds harsh but what qualifies someone to take "stress" leave. Severe depression, Ok but even then I've battled and gone into work.

Unless your boss is planning to leave then your best option to is go job hunting, your health is more important than 1 job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭trio

This "stress leave"....did you have a medical cert for it each time? And how did you communicate that you weren't coming in? Did you phone the first day and tell them how many days you'd be out for?

Who did you produce the cert to when you came back?

How many days have you been off in the last couple of months?

Who did you get permission from for the annual leave? Was it on email/written or verbally? If it was just verbally, then it was not enough.

I ask this because it's unclear.

Advertisement