Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can we make Arts => Anime & Manga require 5 posts to post?

Options
  • 04-07-2010 8:24pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,266 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Basically because the Art => Anime & Manga forum is the first forum in the list it is getting bot postings a few times a day (this is the latest example). Could we add a minimum post requirement of 5 or it routes to mod review? This would allow them to "post" but directly route to moderator for banning of account.
    Post edited by Shield on
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I remember seeing a suggestion for an 'Aardvark Forum' to try and rectify this issue.. seemed like a decent idea to me..

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Classic aardvark forum FTW.
    aardvark29.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Might as well do it for Audio-Video Editing . that place gets raped with Bots

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Won't that just kick the problem down to the next forum in the list?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The Zombie Survival forum is laughing up its sleeve!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,266 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Won't that just kick the problem down to the next forum in the list?
    It should not really because the bot would still succesfully have post something but it would only be viewable by mods (since it has gone to mod review).

• Registered Users Posts: 81,846 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Classic aardvark forum FTW.
    aardvark29.jpg
    Anteater

Aardvark

....oh i guess he is. huh.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

What I used to do on a Forum I used to run was have an "intro Forum" that would only be visible to new users, 3 posts in there and you've access to the post in the rest of the Forum.

Noticed bots only made 1 post in the first forum avail to'em... so that filtered it out.

Though that may be a bit tedious for a high traffic site like this...

Woudlnt that also mean the rest of the forums were private and could not be googled? Thats a big part of boards traffic

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

simple soloution, have pre-moderation for first ten or so posts in any forum

although it might not be as simple to impliment.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Overheal wrote: »
    Woudlnt that also mean the rest of the forums were private and could not be googled? Thats a big part of boards traffic

Not nessecarily, I was able to have the rest of the forum viewable to guests. but I do concede that it'd be tedious on a high traffic site like this.

More moderators specifically for spam patrol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Well there is only one mod atm, is another one needed?
    Does Artwolf know of this thread?
    If an aditional janitoral mod was needed I'd take it on.

Me too.
    I've been meaning to challenge thaedydal to a spamshoot fastest finger first style for a while now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Me too.
    I've been meaning to challenge thaedydal to a spamshoot fastest finger first style for a while now.

Look the rumour that all my co mods get invited to a yearly orgy just isn't true,
    so you can stop trying to make sure we mod a forum in common. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Look the rumour that all my co mods get invited to a yearly orgy just isn't true,

Don't trust her Dr B

This is lies :p

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

What if we created an Aardvark forum and made a few volunteers mods and left it as a spam trap and they can go nuts banning everything ("Delete as spam" does much of the work for you).

Would that work? Gather them in one place and shoot them all :)

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

DeVore wrote: »
    What if we created an Aardvark forum and made a few volunteers mods and left it as a spam trap and they can go nuts banning everything ("Delete as spam" does much of the work for you).

DeV.

It's worth a go if forums are being negatively affected by how it is atm. Spambots aren't all coded to follow that pattern of activity though so it wouldn't fix it completely

Must.... ban.... spammers.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

DeV.

I'll volunteer if you need people to ban spammers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

It's not just that forum that gets spam, I was always under the impression that people just notice that forum more than others when spam hits. So I did a check on the reported posts forum. I checked for all reported posts that contained "ipod" within a three month period.

In those results there were a number of legitimate reported posts that I (think I) have removed(!). Looking at just this small sample size an alphabetic correlation does seem to exist, but it's not limited to the Arts & Anime forum, but a number on the Arts Category, towards the top of the list, so I think an Aardvark forum would help out a little, but not a great deal.
    After Hours > FOR SALA BRAND NEW Apple iPhone 3GS 32GB---$300 	
    Anime & Manga > Brand New BlackBerry Storm2 9550$260,BlackBerry Storm2 9520$260,HTC HD2$280. 	
    Anime & Manga > Brand New Unlocked Nokia N97 32Gb Unlocked For Sale 	
    Anime & Manga > For sale Brand new unlocked Apple iPhone 3GS 32GB- $190, 	
    Anime & Manga > Full iPod/iPhone Software Reviews-How to enjoy your iPod/iPhone 	
    Anime & Manga > How to convert DRM protected music and movies to MP4/AVI/MOV/MP3/WMV/AAC... 	
    Anime & Manga > How to convert DRM protected music and movies to MP4/AVI/MOV/MP3/WMV/AAC... 	
    Anime & Manga > Video to iPad converter Mac, convert/transfer/put videos to iPad on Mac 	
    Art & Architecture > Brand New Samsung B7620 Giorgio Armani$260,LG GD510 Pop$280,LG GW620$250 	
    Art & Architecture > How to Crack DRM video, Convert HD video and Mod video. 	
    Art & Architecture > How to Crack DRM video, Convert HD video and Mod video. 	
    Art & Architecture > How to Remove DRM from Protected Video/Audio to General Video/Audio 	
    Art & Architecture > How to rip dvd and edit dvd (Windows/Mac) 	
    Art & Architecture > On sale Brand new unlocked Nokia N97 mini-$190,Samsung B7320 OmniaPRO — $190 	
    Arts / Crafts > Buy new HTC Google Nexus One,Sony Ericsson Aspen,Apple iPhone 3GS 32GB 	
    Arts / Crafts > How to convert DRM protected music and movies to MP4/AVI/MOV/MP3/WMV/AAC... 	
    Arts / Crafts > How to Rip DVD to AVI/WMV/FLV/MP4/MPG/MP3/AAC/WMA/WAV...(Windows/Mac) 	
    Arts / Crafts > How to transfer iPod files to iPod/Computer/iTunes (Windows/Mac) 	
    Audio-Video Editing > For Mac Users to rip DVDs and convert videos to iPad 	
    Audio-Video Editing > FOR SALE HTC google nexus one ....$200 	
    Audio-Video Editing > Full iPod/iPhone Software Reviews-How to enjoy your iPod/iPhone 	
    Audio-Video Editing > Hi guys! recommend a Free FLV Converter 	
    Audio-Video Editing > how to convert .m2ts files 	
    Audio-Video Editing > How to convert and edit HD video 	
    Audio-Video Editing > How to convert DRM protected music and movies to MP4/AVI/MOV/MP3/WMV/AAC... 	
    Audio-Video Editing > How to convert TS file to AVI/MPEG/VOB/WMV/3GP/MP4/HD videos, etc. 	
    Audio-Video Editing > How to converter MTS Video to HD mpeg, wmv,mepg-4, H.264, avi… 	
    Audio-Video Editing > How to Crack DRM video, Convert HD video and Mod video. 	
    Audio-Video Editing > How to Crack DRM video, Convert HD video and Mod video. 	
    Audio-Video Editing > How to Crack DRM Video, Rip a DVD, burn a DVD, backup iPod File and make iPhone Ringt 	
    Audio-Video Editing > How to Make Full Use of Your iPod on Mac/Windows 	
    Audio-Video Editing > How to Rip BD/ DVD and Convert Video to DivX, MP4, AVI, 3GP, MPEG, FLV, etc. 	
    Audio-Video Editing > How to Rip DVD, Convert Video and Transfer Your Files From ipod to Computer 	
    Audio-Video Editing > How to transfer iTunes playlist from one computer to another 	
    Audio-Video Editing > How to Transfer/Backup iPod files (Windows/Mac) 	
    Audio-Video Editing > How to Transfer/Backup iPod files (Windows/Mac) 	
    Audio-Video Editing > New Apple iMac,Numark NS7 & Numark MixDeck..$500 	
    Audio-Video Editing > Still Grab from Final Cut Pro 6 	
    Boards Drama Group > For sale new Apple iPad 64GB (Wi-Fi + 3G) $600usd,Motorola XT720 MOTOROI $210 	
    Boards Drama Group > How to convert DRM protected music and movies to MP4/AVI/MOV/MP3/WMV/AAC... 	
    Boards Drama Group > How to Transfer/Backup iPod files (Windows/Mac) 	
    Burlesque & Cabaret > How to Crack DRM video, Convert HD video and Mod video. 	
    Burlesque & Cabaret > How to Transfer/Backup iPod files (Windows/Mac) 	
    Burlesque & Cabaret > Top 8 DVD/Video/iPod Software in 2010 	
    Burlesque & Cabaret > Top 8 DVD/Video/iPod Software in 2010 	
    Call of Duty > 3rd gen 8gb ipod touch trade hd pvr 	
    Celebrity & Showbiz > For Sale Apple iphone 4 32gb:$390/HTC Android-powered EVO 4G:$280/Nokia N900:$200 	
    Celebrity & Showbiz > For sale BBerry Pearl 9100 $265,HTC Desire $300:dagrin.trager@msn.com 	
    Celebrity & Showbiz > FOR SALE Panasonic TH-37PHD8UK Plasma $450 	
    Celebrity & Showbiz > For Sale: Apple Tablet iPad 64GB (Wi-Fi + 3G) & Nokia N900 	
    Celebrity & Showbiz > How to convert DRM protected music and movies to MP4/AVI/MOV/MP3/WMV/AAC... 	
    Celebrity & Showbiz > How to transfer iPod files to iPod/Computer/iTunes (Windows/Mac) 	
    Celebrity & Showbiz > How to Transfer/Backup iPod files (Windows/Mac) 	
    Celebrity & Showbiz > iPod Guide-Put DVD/Video on iPod and Transfer iPod to iTunes/PC 	
    Classic Cars > For sale, wanted and swaps (post here only or your thread will be deleted) 	
    Computers & Technology > FOR SALA BRAND NEW Apple iPhone 3GS 32GB---$300 	
    Creative Writing > How to Crack DRM Video, Rip a DVD, burn a DVD, backup iPod File and make iPhone Ringt 	
    Creative Writing > How to Use TS File Converter 	
    Digital Art / Design > FOR SALE ETEN V900 Glofiish Unlocked ====== 350usd 	
    Digital Art / Design > How to convert TS file to AVI/MPEG/VOB/WMV/3GP/MP4/HD videos, etc. 	
    Digital Art / Design > How to Put DVD/Video on iPod, PSP, Computer, Zune, Xbox (Mac/Windows)? 	
    Digital Art / Design > How to Put Your Blu Ray DVD to Your iPod/iPhone? 	
    Digital Art / Design > How to Rip DVD, Convert Video and Transfer Your Files From ipod to Computer 	
    Digital Art / Design > Useful Software Tools for iPod/iphone users 	
    Dublin City > For sale BlackBerry Storm2 9550-$210,Nokia 6760 slide $230,HTC Pure $200,Palm Pixi $2 	
    Electronic Music & DJ'ing > How to remove music/videos DRM protection and convert to Mobile Devices such as iPod, 	
    Emergency Services > How to convert TS file to AVI/MPEG/VOB/WMV/3GP/MP4/HD videos, etc. 	
    Feedback > FOR SALA BRAND NEW Apple iPhone 3GS 32GB---$300 	
    Gambling > Brand new Nokia N96 16GB.....$300us Dollars./Apple I-Phone 3GS 32GB………$380us Dollars 	
    Instruments > For sell Korg Pa500 61-key Arranger Keyboard ........$900usd 	
    Internet Marketing / SEO > free great stuff only with login daily 	
    Internet Marketing / SEO > greenzoner: we get free gift only cause we participating on their site 	
    Mobile Application > The great all-in-one Blu Ray Converter 	
    Mobiles / PDAs > Brand New Unlocked Nokia N900 ,Samsung i8910,iPhone 3GS 32GB,Sony Ecrisson C905,Pla 	
    Mobiles / PDAs > FOR SALA BRAND NEW Samsung S5630C---$240 	
    Mobiles / PDAs > For Sell ::Brand New Nokia N900 ,Samsung i8910,iPhone 3GS 32GB,Sony Ecrisson C905,Pla 	
    Music > For Sale Pioneer Professional Multi Player CDJ-2000 & Numark MixDeck..$500 	
    Music Production > FORSALE Apple New ipad 64GB model.....$300,NOKIA N900........$300 	
    Musicals > BRAND NEW IN BOX 2X PIONEER CDJ-1000MK3 & 1x DJM-800 MIXER DJ PACKAGE...$950 	
    Newbies / FAQ > How to Rip DVD to AVI on Windows/Mac 	
    Newbies / FAQ > How to Transfer/Backup iPod files (Windows/Mac) 	
    Photography > Buy new Apple iPad 64GB ,HTC Google Nexus One ,Acer Tempo DX900,LG Incite 	
    Photography > For sale new Nokia X6 16GB $280,HTC HD 2 $230,XPERIA X10 $240,T-Mobile Pulse $210 	
    Photography > How to convert DRM protected music and movies to MP4/AVI/MOV/MP3/WMV/AAC... 	
    Radio > FOR SALE Apple Iphone 3GS 32GB ---$300 	
    Radio > For Sale: HTC Desire, Samsung S8500 Wave

Bear in mind that some of these could be legitimate as I may have missed them.

Following on from that, with a small sample size of 15 reported spam posts from the Anime & Manga forum and the AV editing forum I took a couple of averages:
    • How long it takes a spam post to be reported.
    • How long it takes for spam to be deleted after being posted.
    In both cases the figures are higher for the Anime & Mange forum which tells me two things. This forum only has one Mod, so it's a lot of work for one Mod, I'm going to PM him and ask if he needs a co-mod to help out. And also, people aren't reporting as much/quickly as the AV forum, so if you see spam - report it! (OP, I know you report spam, I see it and thank you for it)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I really should report them I suppose.

There was no more than 4 spam threads on the Anime and Manga forum when I awoke this morning, all from the same bot and all the threads more identical than the last...

It really is a shame to see it happening at the moment. The Anime and Manga forum has grown nicely since I started appearing on it a few years ago.

Even some spam threads filter through the system because they have no meaning to it. One Anime regular posts something ridiculous on it and then usually turns out to be a heated discussion about something, instead of either the thread being removed or moved to another forum.

I dont mind what solution is taken to combat the problem, but it's just simply rather frustrating to sometimes see things like this pop up on the forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

DeV.

Can I play? I'm often on very late at night since I often work nights.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Ironically the forum has been clean since I posted that, strangely enough :rolleyes:

Ask and you shall receive!

Gordon wrote: »
    Ask and you shall receive!

Would that result in an issue that Art & Architecture being spammed now?

No, I don't think spam really works like that tbh.

Up on post 24 I wrote out a list of heavily spammed fora, that's one of the many fora that gets spammed. Spam comes from many places, usually due to autobots sending out preloaded messages, there isn't usually a person sitting behind a spambot looking at the best forums to spam and choosing a forum depending on a variety of reasons. They just persistantly hit us with spam, and we have to constantly delete and ban as we see fit. That forum is going to get another Mod to help out, so watch this space..

Gordon wrote: »
    Spam comes from many places, usually due to autobots sending out preloaded messages
    optimusprime.jpg That Bitch! Spamming his spam at the end of the movie. Who does he think he is?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Hey guys!

I just wanted to say that as the new Anime & Manga Mod, I hope to keep the place as free from spam as possible! I'm online often enough (unemployment >.<) so I'll be keeping a frequent eye on the forum.

Die spam bots, DIE! :D

Advertisement