Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaelteacht help please?

Options
  • 04-07-2010 6:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭

Sarah O
      <LI class=best>Best answer 18%
    • 66 answers
    Member Since: February 15, 2009 Total Points: 259 (Level 2) Points earned this week: -23

Your Open Question

Show me another »
    Gaelteacht!! Colaiste Cholumba Course B! Help please?

hey everyone,
    I'm 15 and I'm thinking of going to the Gaelteacht next year with my friend :) The only problem is my parents won't let me go!! They say, why do you have to go for 3 wks, would a week not be no enough. Does this mean they won't let me go because they'll miss me and would be homesick for me? I've never been away from home before, well only for a couple of nites

1. Has anyone ever gone to Colaiste Cholumba Cursa B? Is it very strict?
    2. What does the Bean Cheile do?
    3. what time do you have to be in bed at?
    4. Are you allowed mobile phones?
    5. Will you be sharing with other girls?
    6. Are there themed nights?
    7. What activites do you go on?
    8. Is it easy to make new friends?
    9. Can you wash all your laundry?
    10. Can your family visit you?

^^
    Again, it would be great if people who went to Colaiste Cholumba Course B would answer and tell me the answers to my questions, but other contributors, please answer too! xxx♥xxx

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

Lollipop95 wrote: »
    Sarah O

Your Open Question

Show me another »
    Gaelteacht!! Colaiste Cholumba Course B! Help please?

hey everyone,
    I'm 15 and I'm thinking of going to the Gaelteacht next year with my friend :) The only problem is my parents won't let me go!! They say, why do you have to go for 3 wks, would a week not be no enough. Does this mean they won't let me go because they'll miss me and would be homesick for me? I've never been away from home before, well only for a couple of nites

^^
    Again, it would be great if people who went to Colaiste Cholumba Course B would answer and tell me the answers to my questions, but other contributors, please answer too! xxx♥xxx

Hi, I dident go to colaiste Cholumba, but I went to Baille Bhurna in west cork 4 times,

1, dunno prob not too bad though
    2, Bhean on tí,Bhean Ceile means wife. She cleans, feeds ye, Looks after ye and generally puts up with ye.
    3, It will prob be early enough,You will be tired though.
    4, Not sure about colaiste cholumba, we werent though, they took everyons and kept them in the collage and we got them once a day to ring home.
    5, Almost definitely, Therel prob be between 10 and 16 in the house, so bathroom time is hard to come by.
    6, Again not sure but we had.
    7, Dunno.
    8, Yep just be frendly, There will prob be 4 or 5 others in the same room as you so you wont have a choice really.
    9, the Bhean on tí will prob do it now and then.
    10, Again not sure but most likely on the sundays.

Dont worry you have plenty of time to wear your parents down with nagging:D

Go n-eirí leat.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Moved from Teach na ngaelt.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Nuggles

Lollipop95 wrote: »

^^

1. Depends on your idea of strict. Strict on what? You have to do what you're told. If you're caught speaking Irish you're put in the Leabhar Béarla. Depending on how often you're in in it, you can miss out on the ceilí. But they give everyone a fair chance to begin with.

2. Bean an tí or fear an tí, are in charge of the house you are staying in. They feed you, give you a bed, hot water, send you out in the morning, give out to you for speaking English and if you act the eejit in their home. And it is THEIR home. You are a guest, so respect their rules.

3. Can depend on your bean an tí, most house are 11, some are half 11, some are earlier.

4. Not sure about Coláiste Cholumba. Heard of two different situations that apply to most colleges. Some say it isn't allowed, but it's at the bean/fear an tí's discretion to enforce the rule. Some might be grand with ye having them, some might collect them at the beginning of the course and you'll get them at certain times. Other colleges really enforce it, you get your phone taken at the start of the course and you only get it at specific times.

5. Almost definitely. It's mostly 3 or four to a room, can be more or less depending on the size of the room. You'll be sharing a bathroom too. Houses have a rota for the shower which the house should follow, for their own benefit, but if you really need a shower, just get up a little earlier than everyone else and you should be able to have a quick shower without too much hassle.

6. Yes, there's the black and white ceilí, pyjama ceilí, rainbow ceilí amongst others.

7. Depending on weather, there's soccer, kayaking, basketball, volleyball, swimming, orienteering, and tours to Árann as well as Galway city.

8. If you have the right outlook. You'll be forced to share space with ten other girls so talking and getting to them is inevitable. Classes are focused on conversation, so you'll be talking to people there everyday, and all activities are group ones.

9.Not sure what Coláiste Cholumba set up is, pretty sure it's that each house has their laundry collected twice during the two weeks and you have to put a few euros towards it, not a lot. Bean/fear an tí probably won't be letting you use their washing machine. Due to the fact that a lot of teenagers wouldn't know how to use one, having ten different loads to go in, on top of the family's own laundry, it would cause mayhem. If you need to give a damp towel a quick rinse in cold water though, you should be able to use the house's washing line to dry it. Bring lots of towels and swimming togs. Once one is wet, it might not be dry when you need it the next day.

10. Yes, most visit on the sunday, take you out in the morning then bring you back in the evening. You must have either written permission or your parents can call and say you'll be going. If your family are visiting any other day during the course, it's best for them to ring and let both the college and the bean/fear an tí know that you'll be gone for the day.

Advertisement