Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

06 C180 - Trade 03 BMW or not?

Options
  • 04-07-2010 6:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

Have the chance to trade my '03 BMW 318i for a '06 Mercedes C180.

BMW is full leather, steering controls with lots of extra's and has about 75,000 miles on the clock. The C180 is equally full leather but is an ex company car and has 120k miles on it. It has one owner and a full main dealer service history. Looks in very good condition, is 1.8 petrol and the dealer appears to be valuing it at about 11,500.

Will cost me 5,500 with my own. Naturally, I would get a mechanic to clear it.

Seeking opinions please... :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

what advantages are there to the merc? there doesnt really seem to be any...apart from 'moving up in the years'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭thebullkf

personally i wouldn't OP.

he's offering you bottom price for yours-considering the mileage.(you haven't specified extra's}

whilst looking for top moneyfor his considering his mileage.

is he a SIMI dealer?

12 month FULL warranty?

is it taxed?

is yours taxed?

NCT'd?

is yours?

was the last service an oil service or a major service?

check the SH.

if you really want it,i'd offer 3k max for the merc.

whilst moving up the years your effectively doubling your mileage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 nerissa

thebullkf wrote: »
    personally i wouldn't OP.

he's offering you bottom price for yours-considering the mileage.(you haven't specified extra's}

whilst looking for top moneyfor his considering his mileage.

is he a SIMI dealer?

12 month FULL warranty?

is it taxed?
    is yours taxed?

NCT'd?

is yours?

was the last service an oil service or a major service?

check the SH.

if you really want it,i'd offer 3k max for the merc.

whilst moving up the years your effectively doubling your mileage.

Thanks guys. No big gains to be made only that have mine for the past two years and fancy a change.

I havnt negotiated or anything yet because I didnt want to go to the bother before thinking about it. And even at that, can walk away if not happy. The car judging by carzone prices (this isnt on it) is about right in terms of pricing before negotiation. Mine is NCT'd until mid next year, this would be too, neither are taxed at the moment.

Think he'd hit me if I offered 3k Op if I'm honest. Would be moving up milage about half again on whats on my own. My worry would be that the part and engine would be worn etc. . Yes, its a Simi Dealer and a 6 month warranty before negotiating...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

I wouldn't bother, what is the point changing realistically?

The merc has 45K more miles on it, depending what mileage you do that could be 3 years driving for you before your car reaches it. I'd also be very surprised if that c class is a better drive than your 3 series.

My advice is walk away and keep that 5 grand in your pocket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 nerissa

All fair points guys, thanks. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,157 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

At that mileage you could potentially be looking at some big maintenance bills around the corner. While the engine and body might be well capable of high mileage things like suspension, gearbox, clutch, supercharger, etc wear out alot quicker. If you are only interested in it for the sake of changing for something else then I wouldn't bother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

bazz26 wrote: »
    At that mileage you could potentially be looking at some big maintenance bills around the corner. While the engine and body might be well capable of high mileage things like suspension, gearbox, clutch, supercharger, etc wear out alot quicker. If you are only interested in it for the sake of changing for something else then I wouldn't bother.

+1

Have heard some horror stories about supercharged MB engines. I also can't see it being a better car than your current one tbh

Advertisement