Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drummer seeking Pub/Wedding Band

Options
  • 04-07-2010 4:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭

Hey guys,
    I'm an 18 year old serious Drummer/Backing singer from Wexford/Carlow looking to get back to playing in a band.
    Last few weeks have been fairly disheartening seeing loads of bands pass through my town not doing a great job and getting great crowds. :(
    I'm an absolute perfectionist and thats probably why the bands have bugged me.
    I want to get something set up to really kick ass onstage and get people up dancing and enjoying some proper music :D
    I was in a excellent covers band before but we parted because some of us wanted to do more...some didn't:mad:
    My main style is pure rock/punk/pop and thats how id like to keep it but im very flexible.
    Now i'd love to join a band who's already gigging, ill learn a full 2 hour set in 2 weeks to get gigging straight away.
    If theres a wedding band needing a drummer ill jump on that just as quick, I'm currently learning to play to a click and get tighter at singing which is a big bonus:D
    And i've a few contacts to get gigs myself(some paid, some not)
    My gear ain't great but it's constantly improving and if there's a serious band ill pretty much sell my soul to improve it :pac:
    I also have transport so if you've a practice space(preferably local:P) thats fantastic.
    So if your interested you can throw me 10 songs to learn, maybe even more!! and we'll jam asap:D
    Cheers

Btw I'm not interested in playing originals live but if you want a drummer to put something to your songs I have no trouble doing that for a demo.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 carytouring

How are you at jazz standards? I have a gig in town on Sunday, and my drummer backed out. There'd be no time to rehearse but I could send you the set list and if you're good you can just busk it. The money is 70% of the door take. I believe it's 8 euro a head. Let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭off.the.walls

smythwicks wrote: »
    Hey guys,
    I'm an 18 year old serious Drummer/Backing singer from Wexford/Carlow looking to get back to playing in a band.
    Last few weeks have been fairly disheartening seeing loads of bands pass through my town not doing a great job and getting great crowds. :(
    I'm an absolute perfectionist and thats probably why the bands have bugged me.
    I want to get something set up to really kick ass onstage and get people up dancing and enjoying some proper music :D
    I was in a excellent covers band before but we parted because some of us wanted to do more...some didn't:mad:
    My main style is pure rock/punk/pop and thats how id like to keep it but im very flexible.
    Now i'd love to join a band who's already gigging, ill learn a full 2 hour set in 2 weeks to get gigging straight away.
    If theres a wedding band needing a drummer ill jump on that just as quick, I'm currently learning to play to a click and get tighter at singing which is a big bonus:D
    And i've a few contacts to get gigs myself(some paid, some not)
    My gear ain't great but it's constantly improving and if there's a serious band ill pretty much sell my soul to improve it :pac:
    I also have transport so if you've a practice space(preferably local:P) thats fantastic.
    So if your interested you can throw me 10 songs to learn, maybe even more!! and we'll jam asap:D
    Cheers

Btw I'm not interested in playing originals live but if you want a drummer to put something to your songs I have no trouble doing that for a demo.

No offence and mods please let this stand but i am sick of musicians only offering themselfs up for covers bands, i play guitar in a originals band the last show we played i left with 150 in my pocket. We only did one cover in that set and the crowd didnt like it as much as the originals.

I see alot of "musicians" on here offering their services for covers bands only but its because most people are only going for covers that the music industry is slowing down and originals bands are no longer getting the break that they deserve.

Fair play offering yourself like this but i gaurentee that if your only offering for covers then you won't make as much money as you would offering yourself to gigging originals and covers bands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Fair play offering yourself like this but i gaurentee that if your only offering for covers then you won't make as much money as you would offering yourself to gigging originals and covers bands.
    Er, what?!?!!? Start a new thread, and bring some lube :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭smythwicks

How are you at jazz standards? I have a gig in town on Sunday, and my drummer backed out. There'd be no time to rehearse but I could send you the set list and if you're good you can just busk it. The money is 70% of the door take. I believe it's 8 euro a head. Let me know.

Sorry man, I'm at Oxegen but theres a couple of jazz players on drummingireland.com(hope this is allowed) if you'd like to offer them the gig

No offence and mods please let this stand but i am sick of musicians only offering themselfs up for covers bands, i play guitar in a originals band the last show we played i left with 150 in my pocket. We only did one cover in that set and the crowd didnt like it as much as the originals.

I see alot of "musicians" on here offering their services for covers bands only but its because most people are only going for covers that the music industry is slowing down and originals bands are no longer getting the break that they deserve.

Yeah i know what ya mean dude, like the person below said make a thread I just want to offer my services.
    I like originals and all and would jump at the chance to join a gigging one but a cover bands just much easier to start, a bit more safe with the fact you'll be paid and the music will go down well the majority of the time.

• Advertisement

Yeah i know what ya mean dude, like the person below said make a thread I just want to offer my services.
    I like originals and all and would jump at the chance to join a gigging one but a cover bands just much easier to start, a bit more safe with the fact you'll be paid and the music will go down well the majority of the time.

Not really man its only if your good that you can get a gaurentee of payment. Its not as easy as everyone makes it out to be.

Not really man its only if your good that you can get a gaurentee of payment. Its not as easy as everyone makes it out to be.

Ah I know dude, but theres been soooo many sh*t ones come through town and get paid recently so i want to put together a good band to see how far we can get!

Ah I know dude, but theres been soooo many sh*t ones come through town and get paid recently so i want to put together a good band to see how far we can get!

Best a luck with it if it happens for you where are ya based?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭rayjdav

This I have to disagree with. A lot of the "older", ie 30+yr olds here I believe have already done the original scene and, as the real world working market has all but dissappeared, this, i.e. covers work, is a good way to get money to pay real world bills like mortgages/loans etc etc..
    We all would love to be doing the original scene playing our own music but, in the real world €150 for a gig every now and then is useless.

With regard to guarenteeing more money for originals, tell us all where?;) NEVER in my experience. We had to play huge gigs, 1000+ to make it a good payday, in my experience. For original market in this country that does not happen often, trust me, been there.

Original music signed market is soooooo small here that the chances are slim of decent constant money. I would never change what I did, at least I tried, and I was in a somewhat "successful" band in the nineties:eek: but because we were not in style, boyzone/boyband era then, we could play till the cows came home and still be none the richer...

Dont ever slam somebody for trying to make a buck, however it's done.

Best a luck with it if it happens for you where are ya based?

Cheers man, Im in Bunclody near Enniscorthy.
    I think i should nearly open another thread...

• Advertisement

rayjdav wrote: »
    This I have to disagree with. A lot of the "older", ie 30+yr olds here I believe have already done the original scene and, as the real world working market has all but dissappeared, this, i.e. covers work, is a good way to get money to pay real world bills like mortgages/loans etc etc..
    We all would love to be doing the original scene playing our own music but, in the real world €150 for a gig every now and then is useless.

With regard to guarenteeing more money for originals, tell us all where?;) NEVER in my experience. We had to play huge gigs, 1000+ to make it a good payday, in my experience. For original market in this country that does not happen often, trust me, been there.

Original music signed market is soooooo small here that the chances are slim of decent constant money. I would never change what I did, at least I tried, and I was in a somewhat "successful" band in the nineties:eek: but because we were not in style, boyzone/boyband era then, we could play till the cows came home and still be none the richer...

Dont ever slam somebody for trying to make a buck, however it's done.

And that i have to disagree with, I've played in covers bands and ive played in originals bands and always came out with more money from original material. There is no promise of crowds whether your a covers band or a originals band, always depends on the amount of promotion done for the show. I only say that the last show i played brought in 150 before that i've made alot more on different shows. Doing covers however it was a very little pay check. Not trying to seem like a dick but am speaking from experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭rayjdav

Off the walls,
    That is the beauty of boards. We all get to share our experience...
    You must have been VERY lucky in your original bands and VERY unlucky in your covers bands.
    Other bonus about covers is that the venue will do promotion. Originals scene, you do the promotion. This costs time and money too dont forget.
    Once again, my experience is from 15 years ago, (jasus when I type it it seems like with the dinasours.....:D) so it must have changed for the better since then......
    With covers, like a set function ie wedding/party, you are booked because the organiser has usally heard you and likes what you do so there is a more stable prospect of the spondoolics at the end of the night. Play/Pay/Pack attitude. Probably not the romantic way but, from my experience, it has to be the way now...
    Like you, not trying to seem like a dick but am speaking from experience too. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

dont matter a fcuk what you play , forget the snobbery and play what you like , if you get paid either way thats a bonus .

if you want to make a real living , you are going to have to play covers unless you are selling a ****load of tee shirts and / or are well known .

Bump still up here!

Anyone wanting to just jam :D

Just got a savage new snare too ;)

Advertisement