Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weather conditions for tout

Options
  • 04-07-2010 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Well lads, started fly fishing about a month ago. got my first trout 2 weeks ago, a nice 1 1/2llb. totally hook now., every chance i get im on the river:D.

ive been readind the forum for a few week so decide to join. have learned a huge amount from here.

was wondering if weather conditions make much difference to catching trout?

like today it is extremely wind here in the west, will this make much difference?
    what tactics would you use? is there any chance of catching anything?

cheers,
    Keith

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Well the trout eat tiny organisms, and those are small enough that a wind removes them from some places, and accumulates them in other places, concentrating the insects like fallen autumn leaves collect for example.
    So wind concentrates trout food, and the trout have learned all about how to exploit that.
    The wind makes ripples and waves, and helps hide the trout giving them cover. So they are often more willing to feed in bright conditions, with a wind, than they would without.

Negative: It also makes it harder to cast accurately.

There is an article on my website here: Effects of Wind on angling for Trout and other fish species in Irish lakes
    It explains a lot about how the wind affects the trout's behaviour in Irish lakes and you might find it useful

• Registered Users Posts: 47 keithn4

cheers for the quick reply. so then i should have no problem in fishing in this storm. ......well if i can cast.:eek::D. going to go later on then, hopefully get something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

keith it depends upon what type of fishing you intend to do......river fishing or lough fishing? as you mentioned the river i would go for a 5 weight rod about 8ft long, shorter rods are better on smaller rivers....for lough fishing a 6 or7 weight 10 or 11 foot long, longer rods are better on loughs. therefore for the river the top one probably would be the best choice of those three although the 6 weight line included would be a shade too heavy for me.

cheers iron, for the reply. i live in the west of ireland about 3miles for carra and about 8miles from the mask. at the moment im mainly on rivers and hopefully will start to get a few trips on the carra, towards the end of august/sept id say but majority of fishing will be on the likes of the robe and that size of river.

why would the 6 weight line be too heavey? how would it affect the rod compared to a 5 weight?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

keithn4 wrote: »
    cheers iron, for the reply. i live in the west of ireland about 3miles for carra and about 8miles from the mask. at the moment im mainly on rivers and hopefully will start to get a few trips on the carra, towards the end of august/sept id say but majority of fishing will be on the likes of the robe and that size of river.

why would the 6 weight line be too heavey? how would it affect the rod compared to a 5 weight?

if the rod is weighted 5/6 then a 5 or 6 line should suit....i think that for the robe i would prefer a 5 weight but a 6 will work too, just a shade heavy for me but there is little in it 5 is a more delicate line for a river 6or7 is best on a lough... as a starter set it looks good.........

it seems really good, good price aswell. the rod has got a lot of good reviews on a lot of the english fourms. the robe is a nice river. a lot of great spots on it for a beginner like me. was on it monday from about 5pm - 11.30pm they was rising constantly. only managed to get the one. not to sure what sort of flies to use. pretty much tried everyone i had. any fly tips for robe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

In general north easterly winds aren't the best for lough fishing.

fontanalis wrote: »
    In general north easterly winds aren't the best for lough fishing.

any reason why this winds don't fish good? any particular loughs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

any reason why this winds don't fish good? any particular loughs?

I found it to be true in loughs in Donegal and an article in Fly Fishing and Fly Tying implied it holds true in most places. It seems it may not be down to the actual wind but changes in atmospheric pressure.
    My ideal wind would be anything from south west to north westerly, anything to put a good rolling wave on the water, I don't like the flattish white horse type waves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 THE 1

it seems really good, good price aswell. the rod has got a lot of good reviews on a lot of the english fourms. the robe is a nice river. a lot of great spots on it for a beginner like me. was on it monday from about 5pm - 11.30pm they was rising constantly. only managed to get the one. not to sure what sort of flies to use. pretty much tried everyone i had. any fly tips for robe?

i was on the Robe for about 1-2hrs last week, it was very windy the same day and was hard too fish it. got 4 small fish 5-8inch size. all on claret deerhair sedge.

THE 1 wrote: »
    i was on the Robe for about 1-2hrs last week, it was very windy the same day and was hard too fish it. got 4 small fish 5-8inch size. all on claret deerhair sedge.

was on the robe this evening, got two on a some dry olives. about same size as you got '' THE 1 ''. there wasnt much rising, must have got lucky.:D

Advertisement