Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ticks on a dog

Options
  • 03-07-2010 9:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭

Hi, Just looking for some advice. I used Frontline spot on last week on my dog. I checked him yesterday for fleas & ticks but couldn't see anything.
    Anyway this evening I was rubbing his chest & he had a large enough tick near his leg. Now I checked him really well yesterday with a flea comb & he only got Frontlined last week.

Is it possible that the Frontline didn't work?
    And is it possible for a tick to get big overnight?

When I pulled the tick from him it was crawling. Threw it outside & killed it though :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

Yeah, the ticks can get big fairly rapidly. Quite possible that he got it after you had checked him. Nasty little feckers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

Yeah, the ticks can get big fairly rapidly. Quite possible that he got it after you had checked him. Nasty little feckers

Thanks for that.
    I would have doubted myself only I checked him when he was snoozing after a walk so I could have a proper look.
    I've always found Frontline good though so I'm a bit surprised it didn't work this time as I've never pulled a live one from him.

Do you have any advice on that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

You just have to be careful not to leave the head behind under the skin. I always ending up pulling mine, I never have frontline to hand! I have a tick pulling tool that's great, hook it under the head and twist. It comes out wiggling itls legs. Then I put the tick in a folded sheet of paper, take it outside and stand on it. Then normally do a girly dance of horror!!! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

You just have to be careful not to leave the head behind under the skin. I always ending up pulling mine, I never have frontline to hand! I have a tick pulling tool that's great, hook it under the head and twist. It comes out wiggling itls legs. Then I put the tick in a folded sheet of paper, take it outside and stand on it. Then normally do a girly dance of horror!!! :o

When I brought the tick outside I stepped on it. It moved. I stepped on it again & again & again.
    The tick was still alive!
    So I had to get a stone, hunker down & (yuck) smash it with the stone.

Checked the pooch again tonight after I found that one & he seems to be clear but I'll keep checking him.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭chelseavera

Regular user of Frontline here (on 2 dogs and 3 cats!) - just wonder if they build up a resistance to it - or its just not 100% effective. Helps - no doubt, but always get a few offenders!
    I flush mine down the loo by the way!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Ticks stay on critters for three days and are often there two before they get big enough for us to spot them.

When they are full, they drop off to live on the blood they have sucked.

I use fingers with tissue and always have a lidded jar to hand if the fire is not lit.

The various applications seem not to work and also as we have two cats, they wash each other and lick ...

Ticks seem to worry us more than they worry the cats/dogs. Gross things.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,828 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Maplin sell some super tweezers that have an LED light built in. They are the prefect shape to remove a tick without squashing the body.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭itsnotmyname

probably sounds foolish .....but what do ticks look like ?? i discovered a squishy wart like thing on my westies bottom jaw . I'm afarid to go at it , incase its not a tick . Any suggestions ??

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

probably sounds foolish .....but what do ticks look like ?? i discovered a squishy wart like thing on my westies bottom jaw . I'm afarid to go at it , incase its not a tick . Any suggestions ??

Here are some pictures of ticks that I've come across:

In a person's hand

Tick attached to a dog

Another tick on a dog

If you google images for ticks you'll get some more photos, but if you're squeamish be warned there are some not so nice pictures out there!

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭itsnotmyname

thanks 4 your reply ....washed her earlier and think its just a growth she has. After looking at the pics , perhaps its wishful thing on my behalf, but i'll wait and see. Dont fancy the thoughts of those ticks falling off in the house , so i'll be keeping a close eye :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement