Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to London

Options
  • 03-07-2010 9:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭

So I'm hoping to move to London some time in the next 12 months. Anyone have any tips on finding nice accomodation? I should be able to find a job easy enough.. Also I have a small JRT dog that I want to bring with me, anyone know anything about moving to london with a dog??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

About the travel, you should vaccinate the dog and bring the documents in case but on the ferries you can just leave the dog in the car.

Try gumtree for accommodation. Plenty of other sites too but gumtree is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

Just to shoehorn in on this, what are the no-no areas in terms of living? Have just arrived in London looking to live there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

m@cc@ wrote: »
    Just to shoehorn in on this, what are the no-no areas in terms of living? Have just arrived in London looking to live there.

Most areas in the south of the city are generally good. Ideal place to live would be around Clapham, Balham or Wimbledon. I would avoid Brixton, Stockwell and Elephant and Castle. Tooting Bec and Tooting Broadway are okayish, rents are much cheaper than Balham and Clapham but it is doesn't have anywhere as good a selection of amenities and crime rate is significantly higher.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I don't have time to write a long post here but have a look at this post - a few useful links and general info for anyone planning to move over. UpMyStreet is very handy for finding out what a particular area is like.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

I had a dog in a flat in london and its like anywhere, your choice of flats goes down substantially but they're still out there.

best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭suraheg

We're really finding it difficult to find a place that will accept pets!! I was going to bring her over on the ferry and drive my car back empty. Should have no problem getting her over. Just finding a place for us is the problem..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Monkey61

Yeah I would say it is next to near impossible to find a landlord who will accept pets....

Not that I am recommending you do anything immoral...but most people who have pets just don't mention it to the landlord. (in the same way that most people who smoke obviously say that they are a non-smoker when signing a lease) They can't just pop into your house without notice anyway so they would never really need to find out.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

It takes a while to find somewhere that allows pets alright, but I wouldn't recommend lying about it. Apart from anything else it can put you in an awkward spot regarding your deposit.

This is one area where estate agencies can be useful, since the good ones will normally know what properties they have on the books with pet-friendly landlords.

Advertisement