Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

translating iphone/android apps

Options
  • 03-07-2010 8:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭

Obviously, the export potential is there for apps, but how are yiz all dealing with it in terms of translating your apps strings and graphics? Or are Irish mobile apps developers even bothering with translation?

If you are trying to translate your app into another natural language, then are are you letting friends handy with the lingo loose on the xibs? sending strings to google translate, professional translators through e-mail or what?

Anyone any experiences to share? Is there a market for translating mobile apps? Any issues with locale settings themselves? Far as I can see iPhone and Android are pretty good at date/time, etc formatting. However, how you guys and gals translate strings is another matter...

Personally, I think there is the need for resources to help Irish mobile app developers, but I'd like to hear your opinions, and then I will follow up with some ideas...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭uvox

To follow up - I am writing an article for a magazine on multilingual technology - the mag has a global reach, and is published out of America.

Your experiences and views on how you went about translating your app would be appreciated. This is also an opportunity for you to show the app and tell people how to get it - for free. No money is changing hands for your contributions. Let's promote Irish innovation that's export oriented!

The only requirements are a) you are based in Ireland, b) you develop apps for iphone/ipad/android etc, and c) you translated or tried to translate the apps to another natural language (French, Japanese, whatever), and d) distributed the app.

Doesn't matter if you're a limited company, anorak, working from your bedroom or a hostel. You don't even have to use your real name if you're worried about the Revenue etc.

If interested e-mail crowdflash@gmail.com.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭Doodee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭uvox

thanks, however, i am trying to reach developers, not localization companies.

Advertisement