Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

when did common last play Dublin?

Options
  • 03-07-2010 9:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭

Am getting back into Finding Forever, haven't listened to it for more than a year and a half. (class album, even better on My HD380 Pros!)

Did he ever play Ireland, or is he one of them artists that skips Ireland when crossing the pond?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Jay Ru

he defintely played dublin i'd say its between 2-3 years ago now. it was a mid week gig, think it was in the temple bar music factory

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I dont remember him ever playing.

Alot of artists are skipping Ireland these days. At the moment Brother Ali is back touring Europe, no stop in IRE, someone else just announced a European tour but no irish date, cant remember who it is at the moment, i'm sure it will come back to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,707 ✭✭✭Raoul

He supported Kanye in the phoenix park. The reason I went. He was excellent. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭PoppyRowe

He was better than Kanye in Phoenix Park, just found him more in touch with the crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Alot of artists are skipping Ireland these days. At the moment Brother Ali is back touring Europe, no stop in IRE, someone else just announced a European tour but no irish date, cant remember who it is at the moment, i'm sure it will come back to me.

Yeah I've noticed that too and I find it strange because Irish gigs are usually the most expensive in Europe so you would think that it would make financial sense to gig here. If you check out the tickertmaster UK website you will see the likes of Wu Tang Clan, M.O.P. & Dead Prez are playing in Britain this summer but have skipped Ireland.

We are actually have a fairly barren run of hip-hop gigs in Ireland at the moment. I remember back in 2007 we were spoilt for choice with the likes of El-P, Talib Kweli, Mos Def, The Clipes, Xzibit, Pharoahe Monch (with Jeru Da Damaja), Ghostface Killah..........among others, playing in Dublin alone..............now the gigs have dried up completely it seems (apart Nas & Jr Gong of course).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭PoppyRowe

Digable Planets and Talib played, it's so unfortunate but the hip-hop scene in Dublin is small. Very excited for Nas, this was a good Common track. Wouldn't mind seeing him again, very entertaining....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭greenbetty69

PoppyRowe wrote: »
    He was better than Kanye in Phoenix Park, just found him more in touch with the crowd.

he was class tht nite, he even stopped to pose for a pic onstage which looked quite funny!

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭RoRoCullen

He defiantly played with Kanye anyway..!
    I really hope he comes back, only got into his music in March after I searched who the actor was in Terminator Salvation and American Gangster..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,123 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Yep saw him with Kanye in the Pheonix park. It was around April 2008 I think.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Raekwon wrote: »
    Yeah I've noticed that too and I find it strange because Irish gigs are usually the most expensive in Europe so you would think that it would make financial sense to gig here. If you check out the tickertmaster UK website you will see the likes of Wu Tang Clan, M.O.P. & Dead Prez are playing in Britain this summer but have skipped Ireland.

We are actually have a fairly barren run of hip-hop gigs in Ireland at the moment. I remember back in 2007 we were spoilt for choice with the likes of El-P, Talib Kweli, Mos Def, The Clipes, Xzibit, Pharoahe Monch (with Jeru Da Damaja), Ghostface Killah..........among others, playing in Dublin alone..............now the gigs have dried up completely it seems (apart Nas & Jr Gong of course).

The main reason why they dont come here is that they dont make any money. Most of thier earnings from tour are made on merchandise and on the door. But most of the cash from the door goes to the venue and the promoters which leaves very little for the artist. So they rely on merch sales. If you go to a gig anywhere outside of Ireland, the merch stands are quite big and packed. Here they are given a tiny table (mostly) in a dingy corner and they have little activity.

We had a good run of gigs for a while, hopefully we get it back.......
    Just found out that DJ Shadow is playing TriPod tonight.

• Advertisement

The main reason why they dont come here is that they dont make any money. Most of thier earnings from tour are made on merchandise and on the door. But most of the cash from the door goes to the venue and the promoters which leaves very little for the artist. So they rely on merch sales. If you go to a gig anywhere outside of Ireland, the merch stands are quite big and packed. Here they are given a tiny table (mostly) in a dingy corner and they have little activity.

Hmmmm, see that's the opposite to what I'm thinking. I remember when CunninLynguists did their European tour in 2008 they only played in Germany, Switzerland & Scandinavia which really surprised me. I thought why didn't they play in the likes of the UK or France where the hip-hop scene is massive? The only answer I came up with was money. They can charge 2 or 3 times the ticket prices in more expensive countries and get away with it, so if they only sell 2,000 tickets in Stockholm then it would be like selling 4,000/6,000 tickets in Manchester. That's why you rarely see an artist play in Eastern Europe outside of festivals, there is no really money to be made over there, period.

Btw I think you made that mechanising point solely with the Brother Ali gig in Crawdaddy in mind. I'll admit, the merchandise table at that was an embarrassment, they gave them a tiny table at the door and it was easy enough to miss if you were caught up in a crowd on the way out. But in saying that, they gave Aesop Rock a huge table (under the DJ box in the bar outside of Crawdaddy which was impossible to miss) when he played there a few years ago. Plus the merchandise was being snapped up fairly rapidly as far as I can recall, I even got myself a nice Def Jux t-shirt :D

I finally think as far as all the money from the door going mainly to the venue, I don't think that is necessary true. I think the venue take a smaller percentage of the overall ticket sales then the artist, and rightfully so, but make most of their money at the bar, ie: they usually clean up by charging around €6 for watered down pints in plastic cups.

Of course I am probably way off the mark here but that's what I always assumed.

Hmmmm, see that's the opposite to what I'm thinking. I remember when CunninLynguists did their European tour in 2008 they only played in Germany, Switzerland & Scandinavia which really surprised me. I thought why didn't they play in the likes of the UK or France where the hip-hop scene is massive? The only answer I came up with was money. They can charge 2 or 3 times the ticket prices in more expensive countries and get away with it, so if they only sell 2,000 tickets in Stockholm then it would be like selling 4,000/6,000 tickets in Manchester. That's why you rarely see an artist play in Eastern Europe outside of festivals, there is no really money to be made over there, period.

Btw I think you made that mechanising point solely with the Brother Ali gig in Crawdaddy in mind. I'll admit, the merchandise table at that was an embarrassment, they gave them a tiny table at the door and it was easy enough to miss if you were caught up in a crowd on the way out. But in saying that, they gave Aesop Rock a huge table (under the DJ box in the bar outside of Crawdaddy which was impossible to miss) when he played there a few years ago. Plus the merchandise was being snapped up fairly rapidly as far as I can recall, I even got myself a nice Def Jux t-shirt :D

I finally think as far as all the money from the door going mainly to the venue, I don't think that is necessary true. I think the venue take a smaller percentage of the overall ticket sales then the artist, and rightfully so, but make most of their money at the bar, ie: they usually clean up by charging around €6 for watered down pints in plastic cups.

Of course I am probably way off the mark here but that's what I always assumed.

I've read and heard from alot of artists that merch is where they make thier money on the road. Albiet they do make a small bit of change at the door, but its the promoter and venue that get the bulk of it as the artist does not decide on the entry price.

The hip hop scene is massive in Scandanavia and Eastern Europe, venues are normally packed, compared to here where they are never really sold out. The more people in the venue, the more merch buyers are there.

They make so little on the road now that alot of the middle men are being cut out and they are taking to the likes of facebook and twitter to look for venues and local promoters.

....and we are taking this way off topic, but i think that there is a huge difference between what established mainstream artists such as Common would get compared to indie artists would. The maintream cats probably dont have to worry about merch because they will be paid a set price for thier performance..

And back on topic, i'm pretty annoyed that i missed Common :mad:

I've read and heard from alot of artists that merch is where they make thier money on the road. Albiet they do make a small bit of change at the door, but its the promoter and venue that get the bulk of it as the artist does not decide on the entry price.

The hip hop scene is massive in Scandanavia and Eastern Europe, venues are normally packed, compared to here where they are never really sold out. The more people in the venue, the more merch buyers are there.

They make so little on the road now that alot of the middle men are being cut out and they are taking to the likes of facebook and twitter to look for venues and local promoters.

....and we are taking this way off topic, but i think that there is a huge difference between what established mainstream artists such as Common would get compared to indie artists would. The maintream cats probably dont have to worry about merch because they will be paid a set price for thier performance..

Yeah we are going way off topic here and you have made a very fair point, but I still think there are alot more things to factor then just the sale of merchandise. For example, the biggest country in Eastern Europe is Poland where the average salary is around €300 per month (much less then even half of our dole). The chances of someone paying say €15 for a ticket for a gig then €2 a pop for beer are reassembly high but then the chances of them paying an extra €20 for a t-shirt after the show are quite low I would say (simply because they can't really afford it). In Ireland, we would pay twice the price for the concert or more (€40+ to see Nas & Jr. Gong including booking fee) then 3 times the price for beer and I'd say alot of people would still be prepared to buy a t-shirt at a reasonable price of €20 after the show (I saw that some Rhymesayers tees were €30 or more at the Brother Ali gig). So there is definitely alot more money to be made here for the artist, promoter and venue IMO.

On a last note, I'd say the hip-hop scene is just as big here as the likes of Scandinavia or Eastern Europe (where metal and electronic have much bigger followings) but we are all totally eclipsed by the UK and France, but that's mainly due to the larger black communities in those counties.

Sorry again for going off topic, I must have a bee in my bonnet today, but that's the last I'll say on that subject I promise :)
    And back on topic, i'm pretty annoyed that i missed Common :mad:

I missed Common when he played the Phoenix Park too.............but I heard it was full of screaming 16 year old Kayne West fans and the marquee tent was suppose to be windy as f**k. Didn't sound like it was worth the €60 ticket price TBH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

On a last note, I'd say the hip-hop scene is just as big here as the likes of Scandinavia or Eastern Europe (where metal and electronic have much bigger followings) but we are all totally eclipsed by the UK and France, but that's mainly due to the larger black communities in those counties.

I went to Nas in the point in 2005 and I literally only spotted 1 black person out of the entire audience.

Advertisement