Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open bottle of cheap wine sitting for the day

Options
  • 03-07-2010 3:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭

Sorry for being a noob, but I've only really gotten into drinking wine lately, I only buy red, and I never pay more than a tenner for a bottle, which I'm sure will change once I begin to understand what I like.

Anyways, I bought two bottles of an Australian Chiraz yesterday and drank the first one, very enthusiastically opened the second thinking I would demolish it and one glass in, I was ready for bed. I just left it on the worktop and didn't even bother to put the cork back in.

I've done this a few times and I find it slightly more acidic if it's been sitting opened for a day. My wallet's not bulging though so I'm not going to throw it out :D.

Is it good or bad to drink cheap wine if it's been sitting open on the kitchen worktop for day?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Oh_Noes wrote: »

Is it good or bad to drink cheap wine if it's been sitting open on the kitchen worktop for day?

If it tastes OK to you, drink away.

Some people might hate the taste of a wine thats been open for 24 hours.
    Some wines might be affected worse than others. No one answer for all situations,

Nothing wrong with it, as long as you like the taste.

Even though it is red, try chilling it a little and see if the taste changes a bit.
    You might like it. I've seen red wine chilled in Spain in summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭IrishWhiskeyCha

Even cheap wine should be fine for 2-3 days after opening.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 sourgrapes

Normally, if you pop a cork back in or a permanent stopper which you can buy and then pop into the fridge overnight.

You can also buy a pump and stopper to suck the air out - available in good wine shops

Lar

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

I sometimes leave a cheap bottle out over night if it is not very nice amd sometimes it is nicer the following day.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muckety

I'd drink it (fish the flies out first though!).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭r0nanf

As Lar said above, put the cork back in or screw the screwcap back on - putting the bottle in the fridge overnight slows down the oxidation process, just remove it in the morning when you get up and it will be back to an acceptable temperature by the time you're ready to drink again.

There are some reds that will improve by being exposed to air but if you're spending less than a tenner I'd keep that cork stuffed in as much as possible.

Advertisement