Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi Highland Black 8yr old whiskey

Options
  • 02-07-2010 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭

...is rather good for the price (€16.99). Just got a bottle here yesterday after some deliberation between the Scotch and their Irish brands.

The 8yr old is rich and mellow with a pleasant aroma & finish.

I've also tried the Lidl Dundalgan cheapo brand recently... horrible stuff, this Aldi bottle is in a different league entirely.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Well if it's anything like their Traditional Irish Ale I'd imagine it's top quality. Have to say, I'm very impressed with their Speciality range in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

Same here, I hadn't been in Aldi for about a year and find they have a lot of good stuff now. I think that traditional ale is from the Carlow Brewing company?

Haven't tried it but was tempted!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Peanut wrote: »
    I think that traditional ale is from the Carlow Brewing company?

Haven't tried it but was tempted!
    Yeah it is. Try it, it's beautiful. Probably my favourite tipple at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Agreed on the Ale, and I was looking at the whisky last time I was in there, think I'll get myself a bottle once I'm working again and allowed to buy myself stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

After some digging around on the Net, I'm guessing that this could be
    "Bailie Nicol Jarvie"
    in disguise.

I haven't tasted that whiskey so can't be sure, however another forum pointed to highland producer Glenmorangie, who also make an 8yr old blend. I think it's possible to detect some Glenmorangie in the Aldi blend, although the slight peatiness masks it to an extent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Brockagh

Yes, I think Glenmorangie have supplied Aldi with a few whiskies in the past.

I think, legally, they can't bottle something like Bailie Nicol Jarvie and call it something else. It has to be slightly different to be labeled as a new brand, but it can be very close, of course.

Advertisement