Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese impressions of living in Ireland?

Options
  • 02-07-2010 7:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭

I am getting married to my qin ai de in Wuhan in September.
    She has never been outside China and I worry greatly that she will find the transition to life in Ireland difficult.

If you are Chinese and living in Ireland any and every advice would be very welcome.

Xie Xie

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭idayang

I think the first year is difficult for her.
    maybe go to some university is not a bad idea.
    As she is an EU spouse, she dont need to pay the same high fee as other Chinese students.

Supercell wrote: »
    I am getting married to my qin ai de in Wuhan in September.
    She has never been outside China and I worry greatly that she will find the transition to life in Ireland difficult.

If you are Chinese and living in Ireland any and every advice would be very welcome.

Xie Xie

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Thanks idayang, I also think the first year will be the most difficult for. I hope she can find work early to meet other people and make new friends. If finding work is difficuly then you are right, going to university would be a good idea, better than sitting at home bored, thanks.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭idayang

What's her job in China? It's almost impossible for non-EU people to get a job in Ireland nowadays(except those majored in Accounting or Computer Science). But she is luckier than most newbies because you are an Irish, you could carve out a way for her, introduce friends to her and practice her English..

good luck!

Supercell wrote: »
    Thanks idayang, I also think the first year will be the most difficult for. I hope she can find work early to meet other people and make new friends. If finding work is difficuly then you are right, going to university would be a good idea, better than sitting at home bored, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

She works as an English translater there.
    I'm hoping she can do someting similar, in reverse obviously, here, but the state ofthe jobs market here scares me a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Diabhal_Glas

Best of luck with the wedding over there Supercell. I was in Wuhan last year, a big industrial city, amazing to walk the streets and alleyway, so different to Shanghai and Beijing.

Im sure your wife will have some chance over here employment wise if her English is excellent, something Translation or teaching Mandarin I suppose.

Ive often read of EU residents and especially Irish citizens having a lot of trouble bringing a newly married Wife/ husband to Ireland to live.

A good American friend of mine had a Chinese Girlfriend and wanted her to come back to the USA to visit with him. She was not granted a visa and It can be very difficult for Chinese citizens to holiday in Europe and the States.

Regarding settling in Im sure there are groups of Chinese expats that meet up in Dublin, I have also heard of languange exchange groups to make new friends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭booksale

hiya, first of all, congratulations!

as the previous poster said, if you wife is having very good English, she might be able to work as a translator / interpreter on freelance basis. she might teach Mandarin as well. indeed i am doing both myself.

doing some courses would be also a very good ideas, so to have some qualifications here before she starts and the contact in daily life in the college would help her know more about the culture in ireland.

i myself found irish english was very difficult. irish tends to speak very fast. i felt extremely frustrated the first month i arrived and worked in dublin. (and my english was not bad!). during the tea time in the office, people chatted about news, gaelic football, hurling... and i had no ideas about those, together with the motor-mouth and relatively flatter tones, i was always lost. i could understand 40-60% of the conversation that moment and felt really excluded though my colleagues indeed were very nice people.

has she met your friend and joined the friends' gathering with you? be aware that she would also feel excluded in those circumstances because of being not used to the english. if you have some friends who also have chinese spouse/partners/lovers, it's good to have some gathering together.

Advertisement