Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Studying in England - Maintenance Grant?

Options
  • 02-07-2010 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have recently completed a 2 year Higher Diploma from TCD. I got the Maintenance Grant for both years at the full rate with the top up grant too. I am interested to studying in England for a degree course (3 years) so I want to know if I will be eligible for this grant again every year (for the 3 years) if I choose to study there?

Hope ya can help!

P.S. I'm not a mature student. I'm 21 and will be 22 entering into the course next year.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Do you have a degree already?

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭donegalgirl28

I have a Diploma. I undertook a 2 year diploma course in TCD. Graduated recently with a 1.1.

Note - I do not have an ordinary degree or a honours degree.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

A higher diploma is generally for those who already have a degree.

If it is an ordinary diploma, then you should be eligible for free fees and a maintenance grant to a recognised college anywhere in the EU as it is seen as progression.

Go to studentfinacne.ie and read the relevant info.

snubbleste wrote: »
    A higher diploma is generally for those who already have a degree.

If it is an ordinary diploma, then you should be eligible for free fees and a maintenance grant to a recognised college anywhere in the EU as it is seen as progression.

Go to studentfinacne.ie and read the relevant info.

I was always told it was a higher diploma. From my course's site it says; The Diploma in ISL Teaching was a Level 7 qualification offered by CDS from 2001- 10.

Thanks for any help on this:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭pieface_ie

No "free fees" available to colleges outside of Ireland.

• Advertisement

Well I'm not bothered about the free fees but the maintenance grant is what I'm wondering about seeing as I got it twice before for a Diploma.

The maintenance grant WILL cover my fees for college in England, so I'm wondering if I can get it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭donegal11

Well I'm not bothered about the free fees but the maintenance grant is what I'm wondering about seeing as I got it twice before for a Diploma.

The maintenance grant WILL cover my fees for college in England, so I'm wondering if I can get it again.

Yes you can as it's seen as progression as a previous poster said.

From the department of education.
    the following candidates may be deemed eligible for grant aid:
    (i) Candidates who already hold a Level 6 qualification (Higher Certificate or National Certificate) or Level 7 (Ordinary Bachelor Degree or National Diploma) and are progressing to a Level 8 (Honours Bachelor Degree) course, without necessarily having received an exemption from the normal duration of the course

Advertisement