Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIY hair dyeing

Options
  • 02-07-2010 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭

Hey everyone,

I've wanted to dye my hair blonde for ages now and unfortunately I don't have the money to go to a salon to get it done. Ultimately I'd like to be a light ash blonde, but I realise that it may take some time to get there. At the moment I'd say I'm a medium brown with a few highlights (which are about halfway down my head at this stage!). What I'd like to find out is how do I go about doing this? What brand and/or type of dye should I use, and how light a shade?

Thanks in advance. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭myxi

Hey everyone,

I've wanted to dye my hair blonde for ages now and unfortunately I don't have the money to go to a salon to get it done. Ultimately I'd like to be a light ash blonde, but I realise that it may take some time to get there. At the moment I'd say I'm a medium brown with a few highlights (which are about halfway down my head at this stage!). What I'd like to find out is how do I go about doing this? What brand and/or type of dye should I use, and how light a shade?

Thanks in advance. :)

I honestly wouldn't try it. You would need to lighten your natural hair colour with bleach and then put in the ash blonde colour. Once you start bleaching your own hair it can go horribly wrong very quickly! I have naturally mousey brown hair and I've been white blonde in the past but it took 9 hours in a hairdressers to do and even then I've had a few dodgy episodes where it went slightly orangey/red and I needed to go back to them for a touch up the following weekend.

If you can't afford it at the moment maybe have a look at some of the schools of hairdressing who might be looking for models, also peter marks sometimes have ads up looking for models.

If you are going to do it yourself maybe have a talk to any hairdressers you know and see if they can recommend a colour to you. Most hairdressing supply shops will sell bleach and hair colours etc.

You could also try getting some more highlights into your hair and building up a lighter colour that way!

Good luck!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭catthinkin

blonde is tricky to do yourself i agree go to a hairdresser

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Pandoras Twist

Even go to a cheap hairdressers like the polish/chinese ones.

Or get a student to do it in House of Colour or Style Club

Advertisement