Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alcoholic mum doing my head in

Options
  • 02-07-2010 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I'm a 20 year old male college student, & my mum has been like this as far as I can remember.

She never hit me or anythng, but she does shout at me a lot, & at times it does get a bit much, especially during the academic year.

Sometimes I just leave the house & go to the library to study in some piece & quiet, but the thought of coming back home just depresses me.

I can't afford to move out, dispite me loving to. (I only could get voluntray unpaid work, & I'm saving what I do have to progress my studies into the U.K.)

I went to an al-anon support group, which was a little helpful, but I was the youngest by about 20 years & usually the only guy...so I felt a tad out of place.

I never really had a lot of friends, so support is kind of limited, the only time I do go out is randomly for sports, but I did my leg in, so I'd say I'll be staying in for a while.

I know I'm not in the worst position, & the only thing to do is just say, "fu*k it" & then get on with it...but I'm finding these summer days quite hard, & just wanted to get it all out.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

basically i have the same story, although i'm older then you.

all i can say is it does get better. you will find a way to spend your time. you'll move away from her. you'll deal with guilt. you'll realise its ok to feel sorry for yourself sometimes, you don't need to be strong all the time.

I don't know where you live or your interests but theres plenty to do voluntarily, fun things to keep your mind clear, if you look. look at your college and see whats available.

That's awful mate. You seem to have a solid head on your shoulders though which is the important thing. Can't really offer much advice except to keep focusing on your studies and move on when you can - and don't look back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭kittykrazy

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. I hope you can find some support. If you're under 21 (I think) there's alateen which is the support side for children of alcoholics when they're younger and there's ACOA (adult children of alcoholics) which had mostly guys there when I went to a meeting in Dublin. There are online meetings for any of the support groups too and the alanon helpline will have someone to listen if you need it. The important thing is that you express your fears and anger and hear how other people deal with living with alcoholics.

Well done for sticking with your studies. Good luck with the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi guys, op here.

Thanks for the support.

Kittykrazy, I actually rang al-ateen & it turns out it's only for people 17/18 & under, & the ACOA group don't have any meetings in Ireland any more.

I think it's a huge shame that young adults find themselves in this generation gap with pretty much no support groups that're specifically for their age group.

I was thinking maybe I should just start my own group, since it's pissing me off so much, don't really know how to go about. It's just an idea though.

thanks guys, & there's no way I'm dropping out of college! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,350 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Sometimes, support groups do specific sessions for families, it might be useful to talk to AA again.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055505390
    It is not the done thing on the PI or RI forums to ask an OP to pm/msn/skype/email you. This is done for two reasons:

To protect those from trolls and other possible unsavory people posting on the internet when they may be in a vulnerable state. Threads on PI/RI are monitored by the mods so that bad and dangerous advice is not permitted and deemed unhelpful.

To protect posters from trolls and unsavory people posting on the internet who pose as a person needing help and advice and so that posters do not end up locked in to a pm exchange with someone they can not help.

• Advertisement
Advertisement